Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do You Find That Text Messaging Is Rapidly Changing Our Language?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

Nowadays, when I receive texts from my younger kids, it takes me about 10 minutes to decipher what they are talking about.

Do others find this?, and is it going to be the end of formal English.

As our kids live in this new world, what is going to happen to 'Dictionary English'? Is it just going to fade away?

This is quite a worrying thought to me. What do Educators find?

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hello all

I'm a youngin', 15 to be correct.

Yep i believe it is the beginning of the end for formal english. Maybe written english though, it hasn't really integrated itself into verbal conversations just yet...I have heard some people say things like LOL (laughing out loud)

It may fade away some day, but not now. Not if my english teachers have anything to say about it! :thumbsup:

Have a great day everyone
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

It'll be phased out just like Old English was, who talks like back then? will be the attitude with this new phase.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

Kind of reeks with shades of George Orwell's 1984 and newspeak, don't you think rowal5555? It does have a bit of scare to it.
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:12 PM

It's a whole new language, us oldies have to learn, if we are to communicate with the younger generation.I find that a lot of IM slang terms,I have never heard of before and have to consult the net to decipher them. LOL.

Edited by DSTM, 24 August 2007 - 10:15 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

When your teachers start passing out tests written in IM then you can start worrying. This is a fad and will pass.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

I don't think it is a fad - text messaging is clearly a kind of shorthand and has it's place.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

This seems to parallel another thread that has turned to the use of language:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105277/rudeness/

Language is after all how we communicate, and we do so at many levels. The problem with IML argot is that it is more or less dependent upon a shared history and is extremely contextual for its understanding. Formal, or Standard English, attempts through common rules and usage, to avoid this and provide a standard way of communication for all groups and levels.
I think slang or argot has its appropriate place under certain circumstances, but it will not supplant the necessity for Standard English.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 02:33 PM

I don't find anything wrong with it and is quite useful for certain things. For example, I love to play Runescape, a massive online multiplayer role playing game, where I interact with hundreds of people all across the globe. In this game, virtually everyone uses shorthand speak because it is easier and allows people to type faster and give more info in a smaller space. For example the phrase "i pwned that 45 noob with addy lol", would normally have to be translated to "I just killed that level 45 player with adamantite armor. He was inexperienced and it took little effort on my part, and was quite funny." See? Shorthand can be good for many things. It is not a fad, as it has it's own little niche in language. Why would anyone quit using it in favor of bulkier, proper english when it's not needed in an unprofessional environment?
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

Something says this will become like "shorthand" which my Mom and Grandmother used to use when they were a bank teller and a secretary (respectively) but it has fallen into disuse since the early 80's with voice recorders and computers taking its place. While 1337 does have it places, I use it to name folders and stuff so the girlfriend cannot find them or wonder what I'm hiding when they're locked down with passwords (ie $C45H is Cash Money expenditures, which doesn't exist on my system so don't try to look for it). She uses IM in Texting and IM messaging (redundant, i know) but has no clue about 1337 even though both stem from an old IM language known now as AOLSpeak (IM is closer related as the use of numbers as letters was few and far between way back when)

Posted Image

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:56 PM

I think we all will find that the 1337 speak or the IM terminology will go the way of shorthand or HAM radio terms and talk.

With VoIP, and new processes coming on, it's all going to become a "moot point?" in a few years.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

Why would anyone quit using it in favor of bulkier, proper english when it's not needed in an unprofessional environment?

But this is the whole problem... kids use it like a normal language.
I've looked at some of my kids essays and homework.... and i see this txt language used instead of normal words.
I think the reason that they use it, is because kids today are basically.... lazy !
They can't be bothered to write properly... it takes time and effort.

BBPP6nz.png

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:02 PM

I think we all will find that the 1337 speak or the IM terminology will go the way of shorthand or HAM radio terms and talk.

Some of us still use 10Codes and HAM Radio terminology. Actually I know a lot of people who still use it and some don't even realize it. (ie (10)20 is location or estimated arrival time). Some of it died and some of it got worked into our American English.

Posted Image

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:05 AM

For example the phrase "i pwned that 45 noob with addy lol", would normally have to be translated to "I just killed that level 45 player with adamantite armor.

This illustrates my point. The phrase makes perfect sense to the players of the game, but it must be explained (using Standard English) to people outside that circle.

I want to say: there are all kinds of ideas and thoughts that simply cannot be adequately expressed outside of Standard English. Writing is a form of thinking, and careful writing about these ideas both reflects and more importantly improves one's thinking. This may mean spending some time and effort to find the precise word that conveys subtle nuances when these are needed, or finding a construction of a paragraph that gives direction to the communication. On the other hand, texting is designed for rapidity and ease of communication of direct or "simple" sentences, etc..

The real problem comes when students do not understand which kind of communication is required by the circumstances, or are not taught (and are therefore unable) to write Standard English in a clear and distinct manner that enables them to communicate complex ideas or more than simple instructions.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 01:26 AM

Bravo jg, you made your point well and in my opinion (no abbreviations) it is a very correct point. Imagine a whole generation growing up and not knowing any other way of communicating through the written word because it took too much thought or effort. If you don't learn to write it or speak it you don't learn to read it and think of all of the treasures thru history and literature that will be lost. How very sad that would be.
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users