Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Ubuntu On Empty Machine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hello BC!
I am about ready to reformat an old computer using Windows ME (we have no ME disk) and install Ubuntu on it, to sell to my aunt. Will I need to install a CD-ROM driver to do this, and if so, how do I go about doing it?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

Will it allow booting from CD in the BIOS? if not you can use a boot floppy to "jump start" the CD-ROM drive.

Posted Image

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Yes, it will. Thanks! :D
One more question (biggie): I've found conflicting articles on the net on how to do this, but how do I erase Windows ME and install Ubuntu? From my understanding, you erase all partitions on the drive through fdisk, and then just plop in the Ubuntu CD. Is this correct?
Or could I just put in the Ubuntu CD and have it use the whole hard drive?

Edited by Glunn11, 24 August 2007 - 05:43 PM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

The best way to do it (depending on the size of Hard drive you're using) is to do a Manual configuration of the partitions when installing Ubuntu. All you have to do is create 3 partitions 1 /Swap at two times the size of your RAM (ie my system has 512mb so I use a 1 GB Swap and 2 ext3 format partitions 1 / at 10 GB (you can install just about everything in the Repos with 10 GB) and 1 /Home which should take up the rest of the drive.

Again the Mount Points are (with format in parentheses):
/Swap (swap)
/ (ext3)
/Home (ext3)

If your stuck using a small drive (~10 GB and under) then I suggest using the selection "Guided: Use Entire disk"

Edited by BlackSpyder, 24 August 2007 - 05:56 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:08 PM

Alright, I fall under that small HDD category, so I'll be able to take the easy way out, I guess :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users