Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Choosing A Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SageX

SageX

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

i am kind of new here, i wanted to come here to see if i can get any opinions on computers. building one seems very complicated, since i know completely nothing about the computer parts and which i need and which i dont. i kind of need one for gaming and regular office use. i need one that can be opened for a few days without it overheating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:29 PM

Building a computer is actually pretty easy, but can be overwhelming to a novice. One that is able to handle both gaming and office work would be a mid-range system. Here are a few points to consider....

I suggest you get at least a dual-core processor. If you're willing to sacrifice having something that's cutting edge, I suggest getting an AMD processor. They're a little less advanced, but are an excellent value.

Plenty of RAM will greatly help. I suggest at least 2GB but get a computer that can handle more.

A good video card can make or break your gaming experience. Almost any of the GeForce 8 series of cards will work nicely. Keep in mind that anything lower than the GeForce 8800GTS 640MB won't be able to handle DirectX 10 that well. However, they will handle DX9 better than most other cards.

Plenty of hard disk space, at least 300-500GB. There never seems to be enough....

Finally, this may be a matter of personal taste, I suggest getting a computer from a manufacturer that uses standard off-the-shelf parts. This will make repairing and upgrading the computer an easier experience.

3939.png

#3 SageX

SageX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

would a intel core 2 quad processor be better than a AMD dual core processor?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

You're going to find people on either side of the fence on that question. Some of the debates can get rather intense. It's best to read up on both and what you plan to do with your computer and make a decision
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 SageX

SageX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:39 PM

well it would be more for gaming, i cant figure out which should i get. i need some opinions.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

A quad core would be better than a dual core. There are some things you should keep in mind. Many programs are just starting to utilize dual core technology, quad core programs are more difficult to program. If you're willing to wait a couple of weeks, AMD's Phenomx4 line of quad core CPU's will be released around September 10th. This may cause Intel to reduce prices to stay competitive.

3939.png

#7 SageX

SageX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:33 PM

since u just said that, i just realize theres a difference between the quad core and dual core other from its speed. i think i will wait til the AMD to come out and compare. or atleast let intel's price drop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users