Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Directory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elwalker

elwalker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

Hello,

I am trying to uninstall the demon that is DealHelper. I have got instructions on how to do it....problem is - I don't understand the instructions!!

Here they are:

1. Stop all instances of IE or AOL.
2. Kill processes (from task manager) dhsrv and dhbrwsr.
3. Insure TimeSynchornize.exe is deleted
4. go to windows directory.
5. Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dealhlpr.dll
6. delete file dealhlpr.dll
7. Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dhp.dll
8. delete file dhp.dll
9. execute dhbrwser.exe –UnregServer
10. delete dhbrwser.exe
11. execute dhsvr.exe –UnregServer
12. delete dhsvr.exe
12. delete DHun.exe

My first Question.....#4.... How to I "go to windows directory"?
Once there, do I just type #5 -"Execute: regsvr32.exe /u dealhlpr.dll"?

If anyone can break down these directions into EVEN MORE STEP BY STEP that would be much appreciated!!!!!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum and added to the topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 August 2007 - 01:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

Have you attempted to uninstall from the Add/Remove program?
What site did you get the instructions from?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 elwalker

elwalker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:58 AM

I have tried to uninstall using the add/remove option but dealhelper is very unwilling to leave! From add/remove, it says :"installation log not found" - seemingly saying that it can't find the place where it was ever installed.

What I really need to know is - how do I get the Windows Directory?

I got those directions from a few other sites like this one. Several people said they contacted DealHelper, Inc and got the instructions from them...

**How do I get to the Windows Directory?**

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

Here is a set of instructions found on the web.
You should also run two scans with the programs in the links below as it is more than likely you have other malware on your computer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The directions below require you to edit the registry. Before editing your registry it is advised that you back up your registry. The best program I have found to do this with is Erunt. http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Directions copied from:
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_adw_rm_DealHelper.html
Follow these removal steps to remove this adware from your computer:

Click Start > Run, type 'regedit' to open the Registry Editor.

Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

In the right pane, delete the entry with the value named 'DealHelperUpdate' or 'DealHelperBrwsr' , if it pesents.

Navigate to and delete the following registry keys or subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {D848A3CA-0BFB-4DE0-BA9E-A57F0CCA1C13}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ CLSID \ {D848A3CA-0BFB-4DE0-BA9E-A57F0CCA1C13}
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ {D848A3CA-0BFB-4DE0-BA9E-A57F0CCA1C13}
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbar \ WebBrowser \ {D848A3CA-0BFB-4DE0-BA9E-A57F0CCA1C13}

Reboot the computer.

Click Start > Run, enter %WinDir%/ to open the Windows directory. Find and delete the following files:

Dhbrowser.exe
DHP.dll
Dhsvr.exe
DHUpdt.exe
Dealhlpr.dll
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

DealHelper is an older infection. Ad-aware was updated several years ago and had no problem dealing with this. SUPERAntispyware should do the same and pick up anything Ad-aware misses.

Download and scan with Ad-Aware 2007.
  • Double-click on aaw2007.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • Before scanning, click the "Check for Updates Now" button
  • If any updates are found, click Ok to download and install them.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.
Then follow up with a SUPERAntispyware scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users