Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Beav

Beav

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:32 PM

I would appreciate any help with this problem. When I go into safe mode, the desktop is shifted to the left, leaving a black vertical strip on the right. On the left, the first row of icons and the START tab are chopped off. I have to shut down manually because I cannot get to the start button to click on it. With manual startup, everything is back to normal. Windows XP, SP2, IE7. Thanks, Beav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

Can you click and drag the page to the right? Try taking your pointer and place it as far to the left as you can and click and drag it over.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:57 PM

Or if you have a monitor adjustment button, try moving it around that way.

#4 jayt36

jayt36

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:40 PM

Before you enter safe mode (you may have to shut down manually and restart) - reset your screen resolution to 800x600 or 640x480. Then when you enter safe mode, your start button should be visible.

#5 Beav

Beav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:09 PM

dc3--I can drag a page to the right but the taskbar does not go with it. Also the right side of the page disappears under the black vertical bar. I considered a restoration, but I have no idea when to go back to. It has been a while since I used safe mode. I am still open to suggestions.

mommabear--No adjustments on the monitor other than brightness, contrast, etc. Monitor is a NEC 1940cx (19 in. LCD)
I did ship the monitor back to NEC in Ohio for repairing the stand. Just got it back Monday, Aug. 20th.

jayt36--When I check the resolution after going into safe mode, it reads 800by600. Should I still try resetting it before
going into safe mode? Regular setting is 1024by768.
I just noticed that after tapping F8, the screen that comes up asking for instructions is also shifted to the left. I just
missed that before because the background is also black.

Would appreciate any and all suggestions, and thanks for the replies. Beav

#6 jayt36

jayt36

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

Should I still try resetting it before
going into safe mode?

Yes, set it to 600x800 or 640x480 BEFORE going into safe mode.

#7 Beav

Beav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:41 PM

jayt36--Using slider to adjust resolution--800x600 was as close as I could come to your suggestions. Problem remains the same with that setting. Thanks, Beav

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Here is a link to the manual for your monitor, the instructions for the display controls start on page 7.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Beav

Beav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

oldf@rt--Thanks for doing what I should have done. Went into safe mode and used auto ajusts feature and it popped into place. Thanks everyone, Beav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users