1) Just moved from US to Europe (everything worked well when I unplugged and put in the factory boxes that I saved, and arrived in good condition)
2) Made sure the switch on the back of my computer was first switched properly to 230V, which it was and then worked like a champ with the Euro cord I bought the first time that I fired it up. Monitor also worked with the new cord.
3) But the monitor (Dell P991) will not display computer info -- just says "monitor is in power save mode - activate using PC"
4) Sadly, I do not currently have easy access to another monitor, or another computer to see if it will respond to my monitor.
Here's what I've already tried doing (over the course of five days!):
1) Tried powering down everything, disconnecting all power and connection cords, waiting an hour then reconnecting everything and and powering back up -- same exact message.
2) Carefully removed the video card (the one with the monitor connection on the back panel), gently removed dust (it was caked on pretty well), then carefully plugging it back in. There are no other cables or wires that it connects to inside the computer -- just the "slot" it came in.
3) Carefully tried unplugging and plugging all other connections I could reach inside the computer chassis -- also gently air blew dust off those parts and gently replaced.
4) Checked the cord from the monitor to the computer but it is hard wired deep inside the monitor itself, so I am not certain how to change it if it needs to be replaced
OK all you technical wizards -- as I am the furhest from one -- what should I logically do next. The nearest "PC City" store is more than an hour away, but I'll make the trip if I need to. What else have a possibly missed.
Also let me thank all of you for your on-going contributions with this site. It has helped me tremendously over the years!!!
Edited by MotownMan, 24 August 2007 - 12:32 PM.