Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell P991 Monitor Works, But.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MotownMan

MotownMan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:20 PM

I've done a pretty thorough search on this site, and have already tried several of the suggestions. Here is my scenario:

1) Just moved from US to Europe (everything worked well when I unplugged and put in the factory boxes that I saved, and arrived in good condition)
2) Made sure the switch on the back of my computer was first switched properly to 230V, which it was and then worked like a champ with the Euro cord I bought the first time that I fired it up. Monitor also worked with the new cord.
3) But the monitor (Dell P991) will not display computer info -- just says "monitor is in power save mode - activate using PC"
4) Sadly, I do not currently have easy access to another monitor, or another computer to see if it will respond to my monitor.

Here's what I've already tried doing (over the course of five days!):

1) Tried powering down everything, disconnecting all power and connection cords, waiting an hour then reconnecting everything and and powering back up -- same exact message.
2) Carefully removed the video card (the one with the monitor connection on the back panel), gently removed dust (it was caked on pretty well), then carefully plugging it back in. There are no other cables or wires that it connects to inside the computer -- just the "slot" it came in.
3) Carefully tried unplugging and plugging all other connections I could reach inside the computer chassis -- also gently air blew dust off those parts and gently replaced.
4) Checked the cord from the monitor to the computer but it is hard wired deep inside the monitor itself, so I am not certain how to change it if it needs to be replaced

OK all you technical wizards -- as I am the furhest from one -- what should I logically do next. The nearest "PC City" store is more than an hour away, but I'll make the trip if I need to. What else have a possibly missed.

Also let me thank all of you for your on-going contributions with this site. It has helped me tremendously over the years!!!

Edited by MotownMan, 24 August 2007 - 12:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

All I can say is check the pins to make sure none are bent. You switched the computer to 230 volts but how did you convert the monitor? If it's an adapter, do you have any way of checking the voltage to make sure it works?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MotownMan

MotownMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the quicl reply, Mark!

Yes, checked the pins -- nothing seems to be bent, missing or otherwise unusual.

The monitor is set to automatically adjust for voltage between 110-240 (according to my manual) -- nothing else I can do to it, except have the correct plug.

Like I said, the monitor fires up as soon as the computer does -- but will not do anything other than display the "information" message I quoted previously.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:12 PM

Try powering the monitor up without being plugged into the computer if the test pattern is displayed then the monitor is functioning properly and its a problem with the computer.

Reference: Quick Setup guide.pdf Dell Support website

Edit : test pattern looks like This

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 August 2007 - 04:15 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 MotownMan

MotownMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

Yes, computer comes on with "information" page that says "monitor working" "check signal cable" then shows w/r/g/b colors

Sounds like it may be a dead graphics card, but I do not know how to test it as I'm not a techie with any sort of test equipment -- any ideas?

Also -- I have unscrewed/rescrewed all major internal compnents (power supply, hard drive, etc) to make sure nothing was loose. Any wires that are not connected each have the plastic protectors on them, meaning they are not supposed to be connected with my system specs.

Thanks everyone for pitching in with some help!!!

ps -- am writing this from a neighbor's mac laptop.

Edited by MotownMan, 25 August 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:38 AM

I would say it's a graphs card. You've pretty much ruled everything else out
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:39 AM

I concur with Garmanma. Your friend has a mac laptop, know any friends that have a pc you could borrow a graphics card from?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users