Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Modem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ashworth

ashworth

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:10 AM

Is it worth buying your own modem instead of renting it from from your local cable provider. They are charging us $3.00 a month.

Looking to get a Linksys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 0v3rcl0ck3d

0v3rcl0ck3d

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:55 PM

idk but id like to know the same cuz im moveing and ill be going from paying 45 bucks a month to 55 to 77 bucks a month depending on the speed

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

As far as performance and reliability it depends on what the cable provider offers for a modem. The big difference is you won't be paying 3 bucks a month and if you have the service for a year your modem is paid for depending on what modem you buy. Another plus is you can get a Cable modem with built in wireless support so an external router is not needed. The draw back is if your modem gets fried it doesn't get replaced for free. Edit: a good surge suppressor will help this and it will be under warranty for at least a year.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 August 2007 - 04:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 ashworth

ashworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

Sneakycyber,

That's the way I am thinking! The router is the Linksys BEFCMU10 ($35.00 fron Ebay) with the warranty, I already have a Linksys wireless router WRTS54GS.

My network setup is:

MAC G5 Tower w/OS10-Tiger
Apple laptop wOS10-Tiger
PC Clone w/WIN PRO XP
Dell Laptop w/2000 NT

thanks

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:04 PM

Ensure the version of the device before buying it. i currently use that model version 4 and many of the previous versions are no longer supported by Cox or Comcast. Best bet is to buy a new one from a retailer. While they may be cheaper used modems are a hit and miss over eBay (of course the same can be said for all hardware but modems are the worst IMO) there are 2 ways into a cable modem (the cable and the power) either one can fry a modem real quick if hit by lightning.

Posted Image

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:13 PM

Here is a direct link to the Cox web page that lists the modems supported, I don't know who your ISP is, but this is an example of versioning that manfacturers use: http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp

your linksys model is listed, but you must be able to identify the version before purchasing it.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 ashworth

ashworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

Its ver.4 and my provider is Charter Cable ( they suck)! Only been with a week and customer service is either voicemail or email!

My setup it protected with a APC battery/surge protector.

Thanks

#8 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

Hi! All!! Oldf@rt I tried to go to the link you had provided and I came up with an Error message that said it could not be found. Just thought I'd let you know and I really would like to take a look there myself.

Iodine
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

Iodine the link is (i think the word is) Dynamic. Go to support.cox.com->Your locality->Under "Learning Center" Cable Modems-> Under "Select the Solution Name" Cable Modem Overview

Edited by BlackSpyder, 24 August 2007 - 06:04 PM.

Posted Image

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

Sorry about that, Iodine, and thanks BlackSpyder! (the link is dynamic, and I just gave away my age)

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:43 AM

It's the luck of the draw here - you're betting $3 a month that the modem will fail - the ISP is betting that it won't fail before they recoup the cost of the modem.

My modem has lasted me for over 4 years - others I know have had them die in the first year. Worst case is that it dies 1 day after the manufacturer's warranty has expired.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 ashworth

ashworth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the input!!!

I got the modem (ver.3) up and running! And its working fine! They had me do a speed test here are the numbers:

10s outbound test - 293.09Kb/s
10s inbound test - 2.87Mb/s

My plan is a 3meg system.

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:39 PM

Another little thing just type in http://192.168.100.1 in the address bar, and you should connect directly to the firmware of your cable modem and be able to see complete status, errors, etc.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:12 PM

Thanks oldf@rt. I didn't know I could do that from my PC. Is there a way to check on my router too?

Posted Image

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

The ip of the router depends on the brand. Linksys: http://192.168.1.1, Netgear: http://192.168.0.1 or http://10.0.0.1

check this link: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/working...outeripaddr.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users