Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With This Month's Windows Critical Security Updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hey everyone,

Looks like there are a bunch of issues with Windows Critical Security Updates this month... Here's what comes up for me that it says I need:

Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
Typical download size: 193 KB , 1 minute
This is a reliability update. Install this update to improve the stability of computers running Windows XP. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2007 (KB890830)
Download size: 8.5 MB , 22 minutes
After the download, this tool runs once to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps to remove any infection found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center or run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an anti-virus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an anti-virus product.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)
Typical download size: 269 KB , 2 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) Automation and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
Typical download size: 116 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft GDI that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB937143)
Typical download size: 1.2 MB , 4 minutes
Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a system running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB936782)
Download size: 2.4 MB , 6 minutes
A security issue has been identified in Windows Media Player that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)
Download size: 5.4 MB , 14 minutes
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
Typical download size: 579 KB , 2 minutes
A security issue has been identified in Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938127)
Typical download size: 203 KB , 1 minute
A security issue has been identified in the way Vector Markup Language (VML) is handled that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Searching around a bit, it looks like there are issues with all of them except the Malicious Software Removal Tool! :flowers: (And I don't really understand what it's all saying about the issues, so I'm hesitant to start installing any of them.)

Any thoughts on what to install, what not to install, certain order to do things in, anything that needs to be uninstalled, etc., or just what the heck is going on?

(What happened to being able to just update your computer at Windows Update and be done with it? :trumpet: )

Any help is appreciated!

Stats:
XP Home SP2 (though I'll also eventually need to know for XP Pro SP2)
AVG A/V Free
AVG Antispyware Free
ZoneAlarm 7.0.302
IE 6.5 (but I use Firefox)

I go to the Windows Update Site and use "Custom" to download/install updates.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 24 August 2007 - 11:34 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:26 AM

I install all the critical updates, and the security updates. I don't want IE7 or Media Player 11 so I didn't get them. I figure the security updates will help keep my computer safe since everybody hates Mico$oft and targets computers using Window$. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

I install all the critical updates, and the security updates. I don't want IE7 or Media Player 11 so I didn't get them. I figure the security updates will help keep my computer safe since everybody hates Mico$oft and targets computers using Window$. :thumbsup:

I agree with all that -- I always do the updates that actually *work* and don't mess the computer up. Unfortunately, that's not always the case with M$ updates. My question is about these updates for this month and if they're causing problems for people and/or what I should do, etc. Thanks for the post though!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

Okay, just did the updates one by one. No issues that I can tell. I'll see how things go over the next week and post back if something turns up...

Thanks!

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

I just spot checked a few of the KB #'s in my add/remove and I got these on 8/16. No problems with my XP Home. I did not/do not upgrade to IE 7 or upgrade my WMP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users