Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Modding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue cube

Blue cube

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

I'm Studing to be a Game designer and a great way to study is thought modding I'm not sure how to do it thought and I have Just heard about this from Ryan 3000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:34 AM

Thanks I will. have you done modding before? I still need to find an Idea of I need to do.

Yes, I've modded Generals before and I can tell you what most of the numbers in the INI system mean. I can also give you advice on how to model better on GMax. Anyway, you'll need a program called FinalBIG.exe to open the Generals INI files. After that, it's really a cakewalk. You WILL however have to ask me how to make the changes in the INI files into changes in the game itself. The main file you will be using is going to be in C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\>INIZH<that's the name of the file you want to click. Inside INIZH, on the left pane there is a line of container files. Inside each of those is the stuff for which each file is labelled. Weapons.ini is exactly what it's named, it contains all of the weapon information which is a lot.

Most likely, you'll want to make changes in unit speed, damage takable, damage given, range of missiles, altitude of planes, blast radius of explosive shells, explosion effects, damage types, firing range, unguided projectile scattering, and so on. Ask me about those later, I need to get INIZH on this computer.

The reason I'm asking you to ask me later is because I can't cover this all at once and it also comes in steps :thumbsup:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 24 August 2007 - 09:36 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:20 AM

I suggest getting a copy of Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike: Source and working with the Source SDK. You'll need a C++ Compiler like Visual Studio or Bloodshed DevC++ to modify the game, but you have Hammer and FacePoser and other tools to build your own stuff nicely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users