Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvi Confusion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

I've recently upgraded my PC. My new graphics card (XFX 8600GT XXX) as two DVI outputs. It came with a VGA adaptor, however my monitor has both DVI input and a VGA input. I'm looking to eliminate the VGA adaptor connecton and purchase a DVI cable to complete the conneciton.

My question is which DVI cable should I purchase, there are so many with various amounts of pins. BTW my monitor is around 4 years old which makes me think that the DVI input is around the first generation of connections. My monitor is a Sharp LL-T1815-B.

Thanks in advance!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

I maybe answering my own question here but looking at this link it would appear that I should get a DVI-I Male Dual-Link cable, this would seem to fit both my graphics card and monitor?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:30 PM

You will need a DVI-D male to DVI-D male. Unless your monitor is Dual link compatible then you would need a DVI-D ( AKA DVI-DL ) dual link male to male.

Edit: you don't need a DVI-I cable since your using it for a digital connection you don't need the extra 4 analog pins.

Edit 2: Forgot this too The long flat pin on a DVI-I connector is longer than the same pin on a DVI-D connector, so it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D by removing the 4 analog pins. It is possible, however, to connect a male DVI-D cable to a female DVI-I connector. Many flat screen LCD monitors have only the DVI-D connection so that a DVI-D male to DVI-D male cable will suffice when connecting the monitor to a computer's DVI-I female connector. If your monitor has a DVI-I connector it this does not apply

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 August 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users