Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antispyware Software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Hello,

Recently my IT guy came over to upgrade my RAM. He saw the following antispyware programs on my pc: Spybot, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster, AVG Antispyware, Windows Defender, Super Antispyware (all free versions).

What he did was remove all the programs, then he installed SUPERAntispyware. Apprently, He said "This works alot better then Spybot & Ad-aware, and its very good". I said well OK...

However, I have been reading that You should have ONE Real time protection, and a few on demand scanners, "What one doesnt catch, the other will" kind of thing.

So then I talked to a person who is very experienced with computers, malware etc, and he was even the one to get the first home personal computer in the world. He told me to atleast get back Ad-aware 2007, Spybot and spywareblaster.

Well, I dont know what to do anymore really. I only have one antispyware: SUPERAntispyware pro. Well, What should I do? I appreciate all comments. If anyone does RESEARCH and knows stuff for a FACT why I should get some antispyware programs back, would be much appreciated, I dont really like "yes or no answers" or when people just make a comment with no research or facts.

Thanks guys... :thumbsup:

Josh.

Edited by Josho, 24 August 2007 - 07:29 AM.

Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Using more than one anti-spyware program running in real-time mode simultaneously increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system as what happens when using more than one anti-virus.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new malware infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus provides the most complete protection.

However, you can over do it with resource heavy programs that will slow down you system performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone. Those folks still on dial-up certainly don't want to add too many programs requiring daily updating or they will spend all their time just doing that.

See BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.

Edit: I forgot to mention. IMO SUPERAntispyware has shown to be more effective than both Ad-aware and Spybot so I often recommend it quite frequently. I would also advise you to continue using Spywareblaster and Defender.

Edited by quietman7, 24 August 2007 - 07:39 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Josho

Josho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the fast reply!!! So I shouldnt get Spybot and Ad-aware back? Just get Defender and Spywareblaster? Because My IT guy said what you said, Superantispyware is more effective then spybot and ad-aware.

And why would my IT tech remove all and just install SUPERAntispyware? :-|

I see your a MVP Security :thumbsup:) cool!

Edited by Josho, 24 August 2007 - 08:07 AM.

Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

Just because a lot of us believe SAS is more effective, does not mean Ad-aware and/or Spybot is not any good. Its going to be a matter of personal choice how much time you want to spend cross checking for malware with each tool. I still have both available as stand-alone scanners in case I need a backup, should something affect SAS's ability to perform a scan. I may not always run a scan with them, but I always keep their definitions updated.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users