Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Report Option Missing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:03 AM

other forums use it, why not here?

Quoted spam post removed

Edited by D-Trojanator, 24 August 2007 - 04:08 AM.
Removed quoted spam post.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

First things first, the post you linked to was indeed spam, I've deleted the topic and the member will be dealt with accordingly. I have also removed the link you supplied to the spam; quoting the content of the thread only promotes what the spammers come here to do, so I've removed that too.

BC does not have a report button; instead we would ask that you simply send a personal message to a moderator that is online at that time with reference to the link you believe breaks the site rules. If you do not see a moderator or other staff member online, you should send a message to an administrator who will deal with your request as soon as possible.

Thanks for bringing that thread to our attention.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

I have sent several pm's to mods in the past, some went offline shortly thereafter

the report function, if instituted is much more efficient in controlling the problem

this is just a suggestion to implement it
Chewy

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

During the time I've been here, this problem is fairly rare, and the proceedures that we have seem to work.

A problem with most of these boards is that members don't "Log Out" when they leave. Many, including myself, simply close the browser window. The board software will detect that a member hasn't performed any action after a pre-set amount of time - often 15 minutes - and then the board will log that member out and they will no longer show in the Active Member List at the bottom of the screen. This is probably why an Admin or Mod will show up as active, you send them a PM, and they don't react to it - they've left the board and that 15 minutes hasn't expired.

In the situation discussed here, I would simply try PM-ing other Admin/Mods that appear to be on the board at the time. Otherwise, we just have to wait until one of them becomes aware of the, in this case, Spam problem.

They've been very responsive to this during the time I've been here and this has reflected favorably overall on this board.

While I agree that the "report a post" concept may be more efficient, it could impart a negative aura to the board rather than the helpful, friendly attitude that this board enjoys.

Just an observation.

Edited by JohnWho, 24 August 2007 - 08:08 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

The Moderating staff attempts to catch SPAM as soon as it is posted, and regularly reviews all posts in the forums. However, there can be times when a Staff Member is not actively present on the boards, or is logged in (for example) at work and subject to interruptions (lunch, meetings, etc.), or in the process of helping a Member; we rely and encourage our Members to send a PM to any Moderator on-line, or if there is no Moderator showing, then to the Administrators to report SPAM or dubious posts. This has proved very workable, and will be more so with the steady increase in Moderators. None of us want to see SPAM on the forums.

The problem with a Report button, I think, is that it can be abused by mischievous people who randomly and easily flagg completely normal posts causing the queue to become flooded. Manually working though and reviewing such a list with bogus entries would certainly take away BC Staff from helping our Members, reviewing other questionable posts, and performing forum maintenance.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=600098

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

there are even worse problems than spam
Chewy

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:25 AM

And, we're usually on top of it.
With the help from all of the members, sending PM's when they find something inappropriate, problem posts don't stay on the board for very long.
And as jgweed alluded to, it usually causes more problems, than it helps alleviate.

Edited by tg1911, 24 August 2007 - 11:42 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users