Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Antivirus 07 - Processing Threats

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 redwood

redwood

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

Hello,

I just installed Norton Internet Security 07 on a computer that was given to us. It had some problems (winantivirus, etc.), so I restored it back to original state?

I got all of the updates and was running a full scan. I did not watch it the whole time, but I think that it finished the scan and fixed 19 threats. However it says that it is processing 5000+ threats. It has been in this state for a few hours now. I checked the windows task manager and it was running at 100%. I am not given the option of pausing or stopping the scan. When I tried to close the window, it said that it could not close while processing. I am afraid that it is in some sort of loop.

Any ideas what is happening?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

Be patient, If you are working on a computer that was unprotected, it could take awhile for norton to clean what it found. I have seen Norton take three to four hours to finish.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 redwood

redwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:41 AM

Ok, I just went and checked. A window had popped up and said that activation was required. I had already successfully activated the program.

Anyways, I tried to activate and it said activation was successful, but I had 0 day left.

Going back to the NIS window, it said it was:
Stopping
5563 threats remaining

What now? Wait for it to stop?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:58 AM

If you restored the computer without formatting the hard drive, the recovery program just overwrote windows and re installed the original trial norton. Go to this thread, and select a free antivirus to download and install either Avast! Home Free or AVG Free. Run your updates before restarting. download the Norton Removal Tool and run this program to eliminate all norton programs on the computer. Restart the computer and then run a full system scan with your new anti virus.

#5 redwood

redwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Ok, it's 6 hours later, NIS still says that it is stopping the processing of 5000+ threats. I can't bring up the windows taskbar.

I did a uninstall of a earlier version of Norton AntiVirus prior to installing the new version.

My question at this point is, do I just kill the power to stop NIS.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:37 AM

Try restarting the computer through the task manager. CTRL-ALT-DEL, then use the shutdown in the top menu. turning off the computer with the power switch can ruin your windows installation.

#7 redwood

redwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ok, Oldf@art, I'm 54 by the ways.

I was able to restart after some time throughs task manager.

I am not quite sure of the order I should proceed from now.

1) uninstall Norton using the remove Norton tool

2) download one of the free anti virus software.

3) get new definitions and scan.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:18 PM

I have installed avast with norton active, and run the updates, then removed norton and restarted. Avast complained, but worked fine when I restarted. or run this order:

Download the AV.

Get a firewall from the list, install and then block internet access.

Run the norton removal tool.

restart, install the new av, unblock, and then run updates, restart again if necessary.

If you get avast, it will ask to set up a boot time scan, this normally kills every virus that it can detect.

#9 redwood

redwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

I've been running AVG for over an hour and over 1000 threats have to do with mwoltb. Is this a legitimate threat? I have not found much on the web.

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

Found some references to a Miriam Webster Online Toolbar, This one may or may not be legitimate, I am leaning towards malware because of the number of references to it in that machine. To be sure of the status, Scan it online with Jotti or Virustotal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users