Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck In Boot Loop After Update To Encryption

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 msmcfad

msmcfad

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:05 PM

I work from home. Recently IT asked me to bring in my laptop so they could update the Encryption Anywhere software. A week after leaving it with them I found out they were still working on it. They told me as soon as they put the update CD in the computer got stuck in a boot loop and that is how it is now. Today I went to pick it up since they have been unable to do anything to fix it. At that time they told me that they had the exact same thing happen to another laptop like mine (Dell Latitude D800). I can't find anything on the Dell website that deals with this problem.

The first thing that comes up after booting is the Encryption Anywhere logon screen (like always). I can sign in there and it shows Windows starting up but after about 10 seconds it completely re-boots and the Encryption Anywhere screen pops up again. It will do this endlessly. I've tried telling it to use Safe Mode and all other options at that page. I've booted from the original Windows XT CD but still get stuck in the same boot loop. I've run system diagnostics from a CD and everything checks out although a couple times it has told me that pci.sys and isapnp.sys are corrupt.

Is there anything else I can try? I really need to get some of the data off this laptop and would hate to have to do a complete wipe and start over.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

So you've tried to do a full Windows repair ? Your data is kept intact and only the Windows portion is reinstalled.

Edited by mand0, 23 August 2007 - 11:04 PM.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:39 AM

See the following site for information on how to do a repair install of Windows XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:12 AM

I would suggest contacting Guardian Edge for support with this issue: http://www.guardianedge.com/support/index.php#gcsp

If your hard drive is encrypted and the software isn't working properly, it may corrupt any attempts by you to reinstall Windows - which may affect your data.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 msmcfad

msmcfad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:25 PM

I would like to do a Windows Repair but I never am allowed to get far enough into the CD to where I get the choices that you normally see. Before that can come up it flips back into the encryption screen. I've tried disabling the restart choice and then it just goes to a black screen and stays that way.

I have also tried to go directly to Guardian Edge and so far have had no luck. We're a federal account, and you need a password to get into their support....and I can't find anyone in IT who knows what our password would be.

At the very lease I'd like to be able to get in there and save some data.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

Unfortunately, with the encryption blocking your attempts, your options are severely limited.

It seems to me that your options are:
1) Try and fix it yourself (not a real good option)
2) Get IT to fix it - having them go up their chain until they get to someone who has the account and password
3) Format and reinstall
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hi msmcfad. I agree with usamsa. A couple more points:

This is a Encryption Anywhere app problem, not a Dell or XP one.

IT screwed up your PC - they are totally responsible for fixing it properly - no If's, And,s or But's.

IT bought this application (I hope) so they should have some kind of Encryption Anywhere tech support access. Keep pushing for them to fix it. If necessary, escalate the problem to their superiors - these IT clowns are stalling. There is no good excuse for them to treat you this way.

Am I being a hardass ? Yes, and you may need to be this way, too. Don't take "No" for an answer. They should never have made their problem your problem.

Good Luck !

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

msmcfad, you could try using a boot CD such as the UBCD or PuppyLinux to copy the important data off your hard drive.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users