Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mocho

mocho

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:52 PM

i saw a computer on sale it was a dell and had a genuine xp serial on it. the question i have is if i buy the computer how will i activate the key after installing xp? will it be a problem activating it again if it has been used and activated before

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

You must use an OEM version of the XP CD or the Dell OS Restore Disk to use this key. Make sure that you match the version, if the Key says home, use the home cd. It should activate without any problems. As the key belongs to that specific computer, you should have no issues.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 mocho

mocho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

what do you mean by an OEM version of xp cd? do i have to buy that from somewhere?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Original Equipment Manufacturer - the disc that came with the computer
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 mocho

mocho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

there is no xp disc tat comes with it however there is a driver disc? so do u suggest not buying it or if i use another xp disc from another one of my computers and put the serial on the new computer in will it work or will i have any problems?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

The best way to reload windows would be to use the original Dell discs that are for that computer. All you need is the OS Restore Disc, which can be purchased from dell. The drivers can be obtained from Dells help and Support section of their web site, all you need to do is search the download section by Service tag number.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 mocho

mocho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

thankyou for youre help the site is really helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic