Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted/unneeded Driver Files Wanted Off Of Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hey all, I downloaded a dvd burner driver zip file AND unzipped it to my desktop - BIG mistake! I have since decided to upgrade to a NEW multi-format dvd burner and don't need that driver (all thse files - 27 in all). I can't get all those unzipped files OFF of my desktop! cab,bin,exe,ini and even gif files will "come back" upon deletion or computer reboot! HELP!!!
Dell p4 2.8 Winxp sp2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:45 AM

Hi donatello.

Firstly, check your Control Panel> Add/Remove programs to see if the items are there and can be removed. If not-

You could try this. Click on START>My Computer. If the directory tree is not showing down the left hand side of the screen, click on the Folders icon (next to the SEARCH button) and click on DESKTOP at the top. All of your Desktop items should now be showing in the right hand window. Try deleting the ones you don't want now.

Icons on your actual desktop are only shortcuts to the program (normally in C:/Program Files) so you should find them there. Deleting program files is not recommended and can cause problems, so if you do need to delete them from there, always Right Click on the Folder, choose EXPLORE and see if there is an uninstaller first.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 24 August 2007 - 02:00 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

I recently had a similar problem and used Easy Delete to remove it, worked great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users