Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing Avg Free In Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Ref: bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic102488.html - info from Glunn11 ( installing AVG FREE )

I'm stuck here.... I followed the information for installing AVG, but need help. I first enabled all the repositories, And clicked the link to get AVG. I chose the Debian-based Distribution ( also showing Ubuntu ). The screen that came up had a lot of stuff that "looked like the inside of a pyramid". So... I let it run for awhile, waiting for the next step ( depackage it ), but just got an error message from archive manager - could not open " avg75flr-r47-a1025.i386.rpm. ( hope I typed that correctly).

I'm a newcomer to this, so I hope I entered the information correctly. I'm not at all discouraged by this, just confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

Im pretty sure you just clicked on the wrong link. I just downloaded AVG for Debian based distros from the same site AVG for Linux. the file extension should be .deb

However, if you should run into a .rpm only application, file, or driver (ATi video card drivers, and GNUitar come to mind right off the top of my head) there is a wonderful little program called "alien" which will convert *.rpm to *.deb and visa versa. To get it go to Synaptic Package Manager and search for "alien". To run it open a terminal, go to the directory where you downloaded the file to (I use my Desktop for this so its
cd Desktop
and type
sudo alien -d insert package name here.rpm
it will repackage it and place it in the same folder beside the original. Should you wish to uninstall what was repackaged by alien you can go to Synaptic Package Manager and find the catagory "Converted from RPM by Alien".

Hope this helps.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 23 August 2007 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

Okay.... I jumped around so much, I'm not sure what I did, but I finally got it. I did have .rpm before, but when I tried it again it has.deb. Must have been the case of an "itchy trigger finger". Anyhow.... you directed me where to look and everythings fine now. Thank you very much.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users