Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quicktime

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stacykellykelly

stacykellykelly

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:17 PM

:wacko:
Ok, so here is the set up.

I started getting an error message from Skype everytime I opened my Internet Explorer. My IE would open and then when I typed in an address it would just disappear off the screen.

I checked out the problem on line and found the following instruction...to remove the skype and IE add ons. I did that and it still didn't change anything.

I've removed skype and still no change. So I loaded Firefox and have internet access, however now my QuickTime isn't working. I've done everything instructed by Apple, but to no avail. It's loaded on the computer, but won't open. And now all of my video's are in another format that won't open.

I'm pretty sure I removed an essential add on for Quicktime, but I have no idea what it is.

So the bottom line is I have no IE, no Skype and no QuickTime. Can you help me?

BTW, I've recently loaded AVG to remove any potential bugs. Still can't open QuickTime or IE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

Hi staceykellykelly. Welcome to BC.

You don't say if you are using IE6 or IE7. I would be inclined to try removing the programs you are having trouble with via Control Panel>Add/Remove, and redownloading them again. When you try to remove IE, you may get an option to repair it, otherwise try here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ie/default.mspx

As you are now using FireFox, download the IETab: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
Down in the bottom right of any FF window you will see a little FF icon. One click on that will change it to an IE icon so that you can use FireFox to download from MicroSoft.

Go to MyComputer>C:>Program Files, and delete any reference to QuickTime and Skype before you reinstall.

I would also run the Windows Live OneCare scan from here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-nz/default.htm?s_cid=sah. Only click on FULL SERVICE SCAN in the middle of the page and run a full scan. Let it fix anything it finds. This may take quite a while so be patient.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

Don't use Quicktime, use Quicktime Alternative instead. Same suport for mov files etc but less rubbish installed.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users