Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tboctavan

tboctavan

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

I don't know if this was asked before, but I really don't want to look through 200+ pages of forums. Anyway....

I'm running on an old ASUS MEW-AM motherboard that I've read was custom built for HPs (mine is a Pavilion XL918 refurb), but it took me about 3 hours to find all that out, as it came with no documentation. I finally managed to track down my manual online, went to the RAM section, and it said my mobo can only handle 168 pin PC100 SDRAM DIMMs at up to 512MB. Ok, I have a little experience (can fill a thimble), so I understood that, and looked up prices. Sure, I found deals, but the user reviews made me less-than-eager to purchase. I went to better known sites; you think being so old, it would be cheaper, but no: $60. I stumbled upon a site that said something about "even though you might be able to use a higher bus speed (ex: PC 133), it will still work, just run slower than was designed for." Is this true? Because I found a stick of PC133 at 512MB from Kingston (and I trust them) at a pretty low price (I've noticed a trend with faster speeds being slightly lower in price than slower). I just want something to hold me until I buy a better computer, and plus I'm giving this one to someone afterwards.

Sorry I take forever to say nothing. Oh, and I'm currently running 256MB I salvaged from a computer class.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:48 PM

Yes it will run as the bus speed of the computer. If the computer is a PC100 and you install compatible PC133 RAM then it will run at PC100. 100 mhz is the choke point of the computer. If you do not plan on having this computer very long you should look at eBay. You can buy the same RAm for haft the price.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tboctavan

tboctavan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:18 PM

So the same thing goes for the memory? I found a 1GB stick (I didn't think RAM that old went past 512MB). I don't know why I'd need it, but there is always a chance I made a mistake and got the wrong manual, or it's cheaper.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

Here is the link to hp's web page on that exact computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...261&lang=en

max ram is 512 (2 x 256) it uses pc133 running at PC 100 speed.

As far as the Ebay goes, here is a link to a store in Canada http://stores.ebay.com/Biggeek-Computers.

I just purchased 2 PC 100 256 DIMMS for less than 30.00. It took me 12 days to receive them, but I have shopped with this seller before for special DEC Alpha parts, and he has never sent me anything bad.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 tboctavan

tboctavan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:57 PM

Sometimes we overlook the simplest things. Thanks for your help.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

No problem, I do the same quite frequently.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users