Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Problem With Video Card Or Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AZSolii

AZSolii

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

OK, let me back up a bit. Yesterday, I had installed an extra gig of RAM to attempt to improve my computer's performance. Originally, when I had added the second gig, the computer would fail at random times (The screen would freeze followed by rapid clicking or static coming from the speakers). This same problem happened again; thus, I restarted the computer...but to my surprise, the screen froze at the windows XP loading screen (the black screen with the windows logo and the scrolling blue bar below it). Surprised, I restarted again, only to find the same thing happened, at the exact same time, over and over again. So, I took out the extra gig of RAM to see if that was the problem...it was not. Same thing.

Thankfully, I was able to enter safe mode, but was unable to do anything. I tried to reload settings from previous dates: no go, still didn't work. The hard drive is working fine it seems, because I plugged it in to my father's computer as a slave drive and backed up all of my irreplaceable files. So...with that, I booted Windows from CD and completely wiped my hard drive after that. With a fresh installation, I was sure the computer would run as it should. The installation went without a hitch and I was able to fully able to install it. The trouble only began when I attempted to install my motherboard's Ethernet driver. This caused the computer to completely freeze up. I had to restart again. But...that same damned frozen screen appeared at the Windows XP Loading screen. I had also noticed that the lights for both my mouse and keyboard had turned off at the point of the freezing.

So now, I come to you knowledgable ladies and gentlemen with a plea for help. It is clear a component of some sort is at error with another, but I do not know which one. My hunch is that either the motherboard or the video card is responsible for the freezing, but I am unsure how to isolate which one is doing what (as I need the video card to plug in my monitor, the motherboard doesn't have a slot for it). So: How can I isolate what is causing the problem and how can I fix the problem?

Here are my current specifications:

ABIT KN8 SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card:EVGA 256-P2-N553-AX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2.2GHz Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model VS1GBKIT400

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:17 PM

the extra gig of ram was not in the computer for the clean install?????

wonder if it's the power supply failing on you, access bios to check the voltage rails
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 AZSolii

AZSolii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

That's just it, I removed the RAM when I reinstalled windows and never touched it but the freezing still continues :/

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

If you can get into Safe Mode, then it's likely a driver that's causing the issue. Since your Ethernet driver is causing an issue, I'd suggest disabling/removing it and reloading Windows without it. Then, you can either try other drivers, or you can try another Ethernet card (they're about $15 at most stores) to see if it's the card itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 08:57 AM

John,
I wonder if he was forcing an older driver to install over the xp sp2? one? from a cd that came with the motherboard?

http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_...ct_name=KN8+SLI
Chewy

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

I suspect the same thing, but cannot rule out a bad NIC card (seen too many of them) that's "on the fritz" - causing intermittent problems maybe just in one section of the card's hardware.

Forgot to ask! :thumbsup: ....AZSolii - can you get into Safe Mode with Networking Support?

Typically the more "generic" a driver - the less that it accesses the higher functions available in the card. So, if the higher functions are corrupted/broken - then there's a chance that the more generic driver will work when the correct driver won't. I'll have to log a boot into Safe Mode with Networking Support to see what drivers are loaded - but I suspect that they're the usual network drivers as Vista doesn't contain many network drivers when you're installing it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 AZSolii

AZSolii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Thanks guys. We've determined that it is in fact the ethernet port on the motherboard. We're getting an ethernet card to see if that works. If it does, all is well, if not, at least we can say we tried. Still, the whole thing with the extra RAM bothers me, why it was random, and THEN why the ethernet drivers stopped working so suddenly. It doesn't make much sense to me.

Once again, thanks for the help.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

Installing a expansion ethernet card will work just fine. I have a gigabit network card in my PC because my onboard is only 10/100. You should be able to disable the onboard networking in the bios.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:37 AM

The issues with the RAM could have been static electricity or dirt in the slots (one of my more embarrassing stories! :thumbsup:
The issues with the NIC card could also be related to static electricity. This (IMO) is the most common cause for multiple failures at the time of installing hardware (lost a hard drive that way!).

Was the computer unplugged from the wall when you changed the RAM? Did you wait for the little green light on the mobo to go out before going in the case? Did you ground yourself before going into the case? Have you had any recent power surges or outages?

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

what doesn't make sense to me is losing the gigabit ethernet that's supported/integrated into the nforce4 chipset

bad port(connection) on the back maybe, but that's rare, usually dirt or dust on the contacts

I still say it's a driver issue

the new ram must have been incompatible and hosed windows
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users