Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Connect To Ftp, Able To Connect To Http/https

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tennille578

tennille578

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hi there,
I'm hoping someone can help me out with this because I have tried everything I can think of with no luck.

My brother had just moved in and tried to install a wireless router and apparently everything was running fine for about 5 minutes and then the connections went weird:

When trying to connect to some websites an error message appears (can not display page) when diagnostics are run it says the connection to http and https is running fine, but it is unable to connect to ftp sites. Could be a problem with firewall settings.

I get the same message when trying to connect to windows live messanger and running the troubleshoot. FTP connection problem, check the firewall.

I had zone alarm installed, turned it off, and checked the sites, still no connection. So I turned it back on, changed a few program settings (to ensure it was allowing messanger.exe and explorer.exe) still didn't work. Uninstalled zone alarm, turned on the windows firewall and that's where it is now.

My brother called into my service provider, they got him to run a bunch of spyware/antivirus diagnostics, nothing came up (as it shouldn't I have PC Tools anti virus and spyware running) and then told him it seemed as though the connection was fine but a program on the computer was blocking some specific sites. So obviously no help there.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I can't access my mail in outlook (pop3 server can't connect) and pretty much any website. google.com works, facebook works...????

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Justine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hi tennille578,

There are many possible reasons this is happening and the contributing factors vary for every individual computer.

Start by clearing old files and settings may be preventing you from connecting to the Internet.

Click on Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click Okay.
Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click Okay.
Click Settings.
Click View Objects.
Click View, and then click Details.
If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click Okay.

Try to browse the Internet.

If no joy, lets see if we can try and repair the internet connection.

Try running Winsock XP fix.
This utility can fix tricky most connection problems.

See if there is anything in this Micro$oft Article that helps: Page Cannot be Displayed
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 tennille578

tennille578
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the response.

I had tried most of that before I had posted with no luck.

My brother had called my service provider and they said our modem was slower than it should be. I went in yesterday to exchange it, plugged it in, reinstalled a few programs (windows live and my anti spyware) and everything seems to be working now.

I'm wondering if the old modem wasn't compatible with the router or something? (If that's possible?!)

The wireless router installed quite easily with the new modem. Everything but my outlook is running how it was before.

Thanks again for your reply!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 25 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

Could have been faulty hardware.

Good to hear you are up and running again. :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.