Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Ip Address Trying To Access My Account

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

I received an email from a forum that I just registered at informing me that my account had been locked because someone from an IP address different from mine had tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. It said I could log in again in another 15 minutes. At first I thought this email must've been sent while I was registering and logging in for the first time, although I only entered an invalid password once. Then I realized that the listed IP address wasn't mine.

Does this mean that a keylogger or something may be lurking? I've never had these kinds of problems before, now this, along with loads of spam and my very first phishing email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

Could be you have malware on your computer. Below are links to two of the best programs to scan with.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Please let us know the results of the scans.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Turns out almost everybody on that forum received the same email regarding the same IP address. They say it was just a technical glitch.

But I'm glad you provided me the link to Bit Defender because it found two viruses on my computer! I always suspected my current AV, avast, and my last AV, AVG, weren't doing their job when they never found one virus.

I scan with SuperAntispyware on a regular basis, but it's never found anything besides a few cookies.

What happens to the files that BD wasn't able to disinfect?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

FYI, I believe that no anti virus is 100%, and I always recommend rotating through the online scanners on a weekly basis. Bitdefender normally deletes the files that in can't disinfect.

Online Scanner Links:

Trend Micro's Housecall
F Secure Online Scanner
Nod 32 Online Scanner
CA Antivirus Online Scanner

There are several others, Panda and Kapersky have them, but they don't remove what they find.

Edited by oldf@rt, 30 August 2007 - 02:48 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:06 PM

Thanks!

#6 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

Oh, I think I remember the scan results saying 2 viruses were found and 3 infected files were deleted. It didn't say what happened to the multiple files it was unable to disinfect.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

Can you either post the Bit Defender log or run it again, save it and post it here?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:18 PM

while you ARE doing some computer checks you might find this tool http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

a squared useful to add to your protection ; you cannot expect an antivirus program to find everything ;it is wise to have an assortment of basic programs that are programmed to find different things; try running a2 on a full deep scan and see what IT finds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users