Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Stop Or Reduce Frequent System Crashing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:47 AM

If needed, my system details are listed as fullly as I know how (I think in the Profile page?)

Additional details are:
I use the British Telecom Home Hub router;
defrag. each drive weekly if required;
use cCleaner v.2 beta daily (but crashing occurred prior to the beta download);
execute Disk Cleanup around once a month.

More details will be given at your request (if I know the answer, otherwise I'll tell you how stupid I really am).

I reckon the problem started when I began using a Client/program to download torrents. By way of an attempted fix I've used three different Clients (BitTorrent, BitComet) and currently use Azureus 3.0.2.0 - but that may have nothing to do with the cause.

Things work without crashing most of the time (and I don't know why), but I'm at a loss with this and really need your help to stop or reduce the number of times it crashes.

This is what one of the many incomprehensible blue crash screens said exactly:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xBA97C870, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xED36C2AA)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** Address ED36C2AA base at ED368000, date stamp 3d5842b4 - RNDISMPK.SYS

Beginning dump of physical memory

I've no idea what any of that means but similar details crop up time and again. The only difference I can see are the first and last entry in the brackets, and the value after "base at....".

There's no mouse or keyboard control, and I can only shut down by cutting power at the mains or keeping the On/Off switch pressed for 5 seconds.

On one occasion I left it alone (thinking it would dump appropriately) for around 6 hours, but nothing changed and I had to cut the power manually.

I'll look in regularly if you need questions answered.
Thanks.
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:49 AM

Have you tried doing a system restore or the repair console to fix this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi dc,

No, neither. I don't know how to do System Restore (although I've heard of it), and if I have a Repair Console it's hiding from me. As sole user I hold full system access, so idiot-proof guidance would be greatly appreciated my friend.

I've just read a "How to..." Post on System Restore for Windows XP and it referred to an installation disk and a repair (or restore) disk. If either of these are required for Windows 2000 I reckon I have a bigger problem as I have neither.
The computer is second-hand and came with Windows pre-installed/registered. I have no system disks, no back-up, and no idea if this is bad (in terms of fixing the original problem).

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 23 August 2007 - 11:55 AM.

Rob

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" errors are usually caused by bad RAM, page file problems, or bad drivers. What kinds of applications, etc., are you downloading using torrents? Since this problem began after using torrents, something you downloaded may be causing your problem.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

Hi weed,

I'm pretty sure I've downloaded only one application by torrent - an old game called Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, but it was in Spanish so I deleted it a month or two ago.
The crashing frequency increased later but was present before the download.

Should I check for bad drivers, RAM or page files? If so, how and what to look for please?

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 23 August 2007 - 12:21 PM.

Rob

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:16 AM

As jgweed said that error is usually related to bad RAM, page file problems or bad drivers. The symptoms could also be due to hardware or overheating problems caused by a failed processor fan, failing power supply, underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, dirty hardware, etc. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to restart on a more regular basis. If your not finding any malware then its sounds like the latter problem.

When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc.
  • Open your machine, check all the connections and make sure the fans are all operational.
  • Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.
  • Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of compressed air.
  • Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink as it can break down over time so.
  • Remove the cards and RAM modules, clean the contacts and reseat them.
  • Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.
  • Monitor the temperature of your CPU, motherboard, hard disks, voltages, and fan speeds.
See "Cleaning the Interior of your PC" and the "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card" (use as a guide to clean & reseat).

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.
You can also use NextSensor to check temperature and voltage or SpeedFan to monitor voltages, fan speed, SMART status, and temperatures.

There are suggestions for troubleshooting power supply, video card, CPU, RAM, MB and hard drive here and here.

You can use BurnInTest to stress test the CPU, hard drives, RAM, CD-ROMs, CD burners, DVDs, sound cards, graphics, network connection, printers, video playback. This utility works on all Windows versions to include Vista (32-bit & 64-bit).

Another option is Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the RAM for errors with a comprehensive set of diagnostic memory tests.

Finally, look for problem entries in Device Manager and check if updates are available for your drivers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:18 PM

Wow! Thanks quiet, I'll maybe try the dust removal first (once I find out how to do so safely) as I noticed a thin covering late last year when I installed a USB 2.0 + Firewire card - but thought it best to leave the dust alone in case I broke something.

Would a dry, clean paint brush do OK?
Rob

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

"Cleaning the Interior of your PC"
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:54 AM

Update:
For the past week or so there's been no crashing despite the fact I didn't even start doing any of the excellent suggestions contained in this thread.

My accidental fix for crashing should be contained in the following (but don't click on my poor attempt at links. They don't work).

With help I found the Event Viewer which was logging thousands of Application errors per day, and got to fixing that first. The [topic="Windows 2000 - I May Have Deleted Appletalk Folder: Need Help With Recovery, Fool in charge of computer"]AppleTalk problem[/topic] has a fix that may have helped fix the crashing but I can't remember the timeline accurately enough. Sorry.

But here's what was happening and what was done with [topic="Windows 2000 Not Fully Shutting Down On "restart" Or On "shut Down""]fixing a Shut Down problem[/topic].

And I'm also (and still attempting) to fix [topic="Need Help To Stop 8 Errors + 3 Warnings Every Time I Bootup., Idiot in charge of computer"]System Log errors[/topic] and warnings that appear each time I bootup. This shows what's been happening and what's been done to date.

Although I'm far from certain, some action contained in one of these Posts I reckon has had the pleasing side-effect of convincing my system to cease crashing.

If anyone has the time and inclination to investigate the reason why a fix was obtained, please Post here. Otherwise this thread is closed.

Thanks so much to quietman7, John (jgweed) and to dc3 for your valued assistance - you guys are the best :thumbsup:

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 04 September 2007 - 07:50 AM.

Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users