Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD vs Pentium Processors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BlackNGoldRules

BlackNGoldRules

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

I currently have a PII 400MHZ processor and I want to upgrade to a newer motherboard and processor. I have a chance at getting a motherboard with an AMD 1.6Ghz processor for a pretty good price. What would be the equivalent of this one vs a Pentium Processor at about the same speed? Is it just a different brand name and that's it or is the Pentium just better quality? Would I still be satisfied with the AMD Processor? Thanks for any advice on this!

Edited by BlackNGoldRules, 03 February 2005 - 11:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:58 PM

Once you get past a certain level, there is very little comparable difference between the two, as far as an user can see, but AMD is usually less expensive and benchmarks against Intel well.
I prefer AMD myself.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:15 PM

I just built me a AMD 3200 64 system. I will test it out this week since I just got the parts.

A AMD CPU will benchmark more than a Pentium CPU at the same speed. I have read so many good stories about AMD that I went with it. A AMD from what I have also read runs cooler than a Pentium or celeron CPU.

I would like to ask what is the deal you are getting?
Like what is the specs on the motherboard? Do you have links and prices that you might like to share?

I just want to compare prices maybe I could get it for cheaper. I know of a few sites since I just built my system.

I just think AMD is better. Here are a few links with others experience.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1194

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/151753

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecen...reviews/1826/1/

I hope these links help you on what CPU is better. I chose a AMD I hope you do too. I look foward to your replies. I hope I can help!

Welcome to BC!!

#4 dalcb22

dalcb22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:42 PM

For what's it's worth, my brother just built an AMD 64 system w/ an Asus motherboard and it runs like a champ. Really fast and worth considering. I'm not sure of the exact specs.

#5 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

YOur forgetting, AMD and Intel, both at 1.6 GHZ, its the same, AMD has a different rating system, which makes a 1.6GHZ Better. So you may think that if you get a "same" speed of each, and the AMD benchmarks higher, that is the reason.

AMD runs hotter, but is cheaper, and not really much faster, than Intel, at the Real same speed. I would prefer a cooler proccessor, just to help me sleep at night :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users