Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Hide Where I Am?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rebmahc

Rebmahc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:33 AM

Sometimes when i go to websites, mainly games ones, there are adds all down the sides on there site that offer stupid things like dating, free mobile phones, ipods etc if you click them. Obviously i dont, but underneath each one it has the name of my City,which i dont like.

This basically says to me that they know where my computer is.
Is this an attack on my computer that they know where i am??? I know IP addresses are there for certain reasons, and i dont mind if the Government follows them but i dont like the idea that add companies have it and know where i am, it never used to say my city, but now any website seems to pin point me, just wondering if this is Spyware, although ive ran all sorts of scans and they say im clean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:49 AM

It's not an attack on your computer. The web-sites you surf to need to know your IP address so they can send the webpage information from their server to your computer. It's how the internet works. It's like sending a letter in the post, the mail company needs to know your street address so they can deliver the letter. However, once they have your IP address they can get a rough idea of where you are located.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rebmahc

Rebmahc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the swift reply! :thumbsup:

I just found it strange. I visited them often, but if adds were there they would state cities like New York or Paris or London, not mine, but now they do. So the sites keep my IP then? Technology eh, aint it interesting!

Thanks again

#4 d3k0y

d3k0y

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

I know this is an old post but I ran across it searching for hide IP software. If you dont want these sites to know where you are, you can DL a hide IP software. I use hide IP platinum at the moment and when I go to forums or other websites, it says "Wanna find hot singles in Ankara Turkey?" instead of my actual town (Im not from Ankara Turkey). Hope this helps.

d3k0y
"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?'"

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici..."

"Not much really" - Sidis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users