Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is A Great Free Photo Editing Software?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rebmahc

Rebmahc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:14 AM

Sorry, im new to all this, but im sure you have answered this a million times before.

But, do you know if there is any really good photo editing software outhere, that could rival the likes of Photoshop and other top ones?

Im looking at taking up photography again, but need a good programme to edit pics.

Any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

I've used Pixia and it is okay. I'm not sure how it stacks up against Photoshop though.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:21 AM

I have never used it, but The Gimp is recommended by those who have.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Indeed, the GIMP is a nice program. You'll have to download the latest GTK+ drivers and then download the GIMP itself. Just google both.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

You might also try Paint.net, another free image and photo editting program.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Gimp for Windows. As Ryan3000 mentioned you will also have to download the GTK+2 Runtime Enviroment. I would also suggest Downloading the Help files.

Posted Image

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:01 AM

Irfanview, is also a good, it can't compare with Photoshop, but it has it's uses. I like the way Irfanview fixes dark pictures. I also like it's batch renaming etc.
features. Its a small DL, and it's free, so why not?

#8 The Decepter

The Decepter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

Hello, my recconmendation would be G.I.M.P thic can be found at www.gimp.org GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.

I myslef use Photoshop CS2 and buying CS3 soon as im into deep work with graphic design and what not, but for new members starting of this is ideal before you go spending nig bucks on software you mighten be good at :thumbsup:

The Decpeter

Edited by The Decepter, 25 August 2007 - 06:14 PM.

#9 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:46 PM

You could try Serif Photoplus6. Its free and easy to use.

Rayal

#10 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

Get GIMP.

its like the free photoshop :thumbsup:

#11 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

Sorry, im new to all this, but im sure you have answered this a million times before.

But, do you know if there is any really good photo editing software outhere, that could rival the likes of Photoshop and other top ones?

Im looking at taking up photography again, but need a good programme to edit pics.

Any ideas please?

Hi there,

For free photo editing you have options.

A great program to stat with, is Picasa2, which allows you to manage your images and make simple but effective changes.

If however you want to make more advanced changes then the best free program, is Paintnet http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/PaintNET/1096481993/1 which if you take time to learn, can be as close to photoshop as possible.

Gimp is also capable of matching photoshop, but the interface takes some getting used to and learning curve is much deeper, but that is another great choice.

#12 Rebmahc

Rebmahc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, i will look into each and see which is best for me.

Thanks again!
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users