Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Career In Game Designing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blue cube

Blue cube

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

Ever since I was a Child I wanted to grow up and become a game designe. I have recently graduated from High scool and

now I can Finally begin my dream of becoming a game designer ,But I don't really know what to do really since I lack

programing skills and which college I need to go to in order to study. I do plan on study at home but I don't know how to do that ether can someone point me to the right way I'm lost :thumbsup:

Moved to a more appropriate Forum, form the "Business" Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 23 August 2007 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

Me too :trumpet: I too wanted to be a game designer myself
but I'm still in training with my other lessons which I may need in the future (HTML,XHTML,etc.)
Although I'm still learning these,I have a friend whose advice may give you a good starting point :flowers:
Here's my friend's suggestion:

Maybe you can start out by learning arts :inlove: (Drawings,Sketches,Land scapes,Drawing people)
which is the most basic step for me to start with. you could take online video drawing lessons
which may enchance your skills.
Programs:
I know one good program for land scapes which is terragen :)
although if you're to try it,make sure it matches with your OS requirements
http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

If you're already good at that,maybe it would be a good point where in you would participate in forums to post your artworks:
One good site would be
http://www.deviantart.com/

This may be of help to you :thumbsup:
-CG

Edited by Commander Gman, 23 August 2007 - 08:44 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

If you take a few hours to read some of the credits for your favourite games, you will find that the game is a team effort. Some people concentrate on the actual game itself, others on graphics, still others on the nuts of bolts of coding the programme; others concentrate on managing the very complex process to a successful finish.
You should think about both your interests and your own abilities and concentrate your learning efforts on one particular aspect. Learning a programming language, no matter what area you like, is always useful, and may suggest in the process, new areas of interest.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

I always found it fun to make 3D models. One good program to do this is GMax freeware from the people who made 3DStudioMax, the latter costing $1600. Unfortunately 3DSMax discontinued GMax but you can still download it in some websites. It's a pretty easy way to figure out whether or not you like modelling. You can even dip a little bit into coding. There is a game called Command & Conquer Generals, 2-3 Years old, with its expansion pack called Zero Hour. It's set about 5 years from now (even though our technology already passed it) with the world steps away from nuclear armageddon with shock-and-awe USA, nuke-happy China, and a power-in-numbers terrorist group called the Global Liberation Army or GLA. One of the best RTS games I've ever played. The best part is that is uses W3D models, which are supported by GMax using a plugin called RenX, and also Generals Zero Hour has a very simple and fun code called INI files which are basically notepad files with a very simple layout, all numbers are clearly labelled by their function and they are easy to change. Talk to cncgeneralsworld.com 's forums if you have questions about any of this.

Just a little sidenote, with Generals' engine, called Sage, is very easy to mod. There are bountiful mods for Generals if you don't want to do them yourself ranging from making Russia a playable side to making more realistic damage to fighting a war from a different era.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 23 August 2007 - 12:14 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

That is an excellant point, Ryan3000. Many games come with map editors, etc. that allow gamers to modify the original game, or create their own version. Playing around with these is a good introduction as well as a lot of fun (not to mention requiring a LOT of time).
Thanks for thinking of that.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Blue cube

Blue cube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

These are us great Ideas so far I hate to say I'm no artists and yeah making a game is a team effort (which I don't have right now :thumbsup: )

all I'm doing is just writing Ideas Of games Maybe I could do Scripts for games I do happen to have good literacy. But I really like to learn how to program.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

With Generals making a game is in no way a team effort (or in this case a mod). It's a nice warmup to game design. Modding Generals is so easy a caveman can do it. You can either make models, change the programming, or both, using simple directions in little time at all.
The SAGE Engine is EXTREMELY moddable. About as easy as it gets. If you are interested, you can start a post in Games and I'll help you to the full extent of my abilities. No pressure.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 23 August 2007 - 01:11 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users