Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

95/98 Operating System Users, Read This!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:07 AM

I was just wondering, how many people out there still actually use windows 95 and 98. I mean thier pretty damn old and I would think that you would be severely limited in whatever you do nowadays being that thier so outdated. So I guess the point of this is just to ask, How is it having 95 and/or 98? are you just using those operating systems just for basic stuff(writing reports, word documents, simple things) or just dont have the $funds$ to upgrade to a better OS? I could understand if someone had 98 and was on the verge of upgrading to 2000, millenium, or anything above it but 95? seriously does anyone out there still use windows 95? Post your comments back here and lemme here your likes,dislikes,thoughts,about these operating systems.
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:54 AM

There are some people out there that still think that Windows 98 is the best operating system that M$ ever made and aren't going to give it up for love or money.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Derek_S

Derek_S

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

I would agree with the view that says 'why keep Win95 or Win98 (not SE)', but 98SE was a decent product with the basic networking sorted and some support for USB.
With it you can perform basic office stuff, network it, browse the internet, download software and data, and it is far less load on the HDD and the use of memory and cpu.

I have some applications which rely on it.

Lest you consider me to be totally out of touch, I also run WinMe, WinXP, and various flavours of linux - and need them all to be network worthy (LAN and WAN)

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

I just put 98 on an old PC just for the fun of it.....isn't that what it is all about........POWER USERS.
MCP
MSDST

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If I could get Clear Type to work in Windows Me, I'd go back. I have to admit that's just about the best thing since sliced bread for people like me with old eyes.

I loved Windows Me. I had no problems with it. I don't need all the other bells and whistles for what I do on my computer.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:04 AM

I like Windows 98SE, but liked NT4 sp6a more. When I moved to W2k I thought I had died and went to computer user's heaven. The appearence and feel of 98 and the security of XP. Best of both worlds. Since it runs on systems as lite as a P-II 266 I don't have to upgrade my computers, and I have a bunch of computers.
I used ME for a while but I still perfer 98se in the FAT32 arena.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

I don't think its a matter of which is the best OS its a matter of doesn't it suite your needs.

In 1992 I bought an IBM compatible which was running Win3.1. I used M$ Office 4.3 and everything worked as expected.

In 1997 I bought another computer that had Win95B installed. Everything worked as I expected with no problems.

I 2000 I bought Win98se and again everything worked as I expected with no problems. I used M$ Office 97 with both OS's.

3 years ago I bought Win2k I formatted and did a fresh install everything went ok. Tried it for a while and didn't find it very exciting so I formatted and put Win98 back. No true DOS.

2.5 years ago I bought WinXP 2002. Formatted the drive installed WinXP no problems. I tried it for a couple of weeks and didn't really find it more exciting than Win98, plus there was no true DOS. I didn't really like it so I formatted again and put Win98 back.

Just before last Christmas I decided I would have to put WinXP back because most thing revolve around WinNT. I did the usual format and tried to install WinXP. When I installed it 2.5 years ago it installed no problem. This time when I tried to install XP it came up with an error.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space, if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates, try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

Stop! 0x0000007E(0xC000001D, 0x8084006E, 0xF9E7BB9C, 0xF9E7B898)

I changed the BIOS settings but that made no difference, the same error appeared. The BIOS is the same as it was 2.5 years ago and it install ok then. The only hardware that as changed is I bought a new modem. But I removed the modem before install and it still came up with the same error. So why did it install the first time with no problems?

I've posted this problem in the WinXP section but no one could give me an answer. I tried to report this error to M$ but there system gets worse. They ask for a number of the computer, not the CD Key. I couldn't install XP so I couldn't give them this number. So I gave them the Win98 number and it said invalid number, obviously.

WinXP is bleep, this confirms it. Thats why I didn't like it 2.5 years ago.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

I still use windows 3.0, 3.11 for workgroups, 95, and 98.... I agree Acklan NT4 sp6 was great! Then along came 2000.... I still use 2000 as my main OS on many computers.

-Steve

edit: btw, I have a copy of Windows 1.01 haha

Edited by need TOS, 23 August 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

Someone on another support forum asked the same question recently.

I am a die hard 98SE user. 40% of my customers are still running it.
It is small, efficient and not full of bloat. About 250 megs for a clean install
I think it is the best thinkg Microsoft ever made!

Vista takes 8.4 gig to install clean. Requires a DVD drive.
1 gig RAM minimum 2 gig recommended. Needs a good video card.
It is pretty, but that doesnt mean that it works.
I cussed XP when it first came out too!

A lot of my customers are retired. All they want to do is email and get on the Internet for the most part.
They cannot afford to upgrade their systems every few years on Microsoft's whim.

HP appears to have pulled all their driver support for 98 and ME in July
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

Long live 98SE!!! haha I love it, have never had a problem or virus while using it.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

I always thought MS was missing out by not offering support for a fee for their older OS. Say $15\yr. I'll bet they would be suprized how money it would generate.
I have several people that I help that will not give up there 98se box. One lady has a P-I 133mhz with 32mb that she refuses to replace.
The drivers may become harder to acquire but I do not see 9x going anywhere soon.
I would love to know the break down of DOS\3.1\95\98\ME\NT\W2k\XP users out there.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Acklan

I looked it up in my customer database.
Was curious about it too.

It breaks down like this

DOS 5.0 1. I have it. Archival computer.
DOS 6.2 2
DOS 6.22 3
Windows 95 30
Windows 98 254
Windows ME 57
Windows 2000 6
Windows XP 215
Windows Vista 8

This goes back eight years.
I would like to see what others that do tech support have in their databases.

Not a single person has ever called Microsoft
Imagine that!

Cutsomers have died, moved etc
But I am still curious about it

40% is still Windows 98

Edited by Eyesee, 23 August 2007 - 09:35 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:01 AM

I have WindowsMe on a second computer at home. I use it for the old programs, games, that don't run on XP. I liked 98SE, but it was easy to crash, I did that a lot. XP does not crash as easily but it takes up a whole lot more HD space.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 04:43 AM

I liked 98SE, but it was easy to crash.

The only thing that I have that crashes with Win98SE is IE6.0 SP1. IE5.5 SP2 was never a problem, and don't say use FireFox or Opera. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#15 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

I was going to stick with 98SE until the PC took a nose dive and hosed itself thanks to a power supply failure, the cost of repairs V new system with XP was attractive at the time so i switched over. Had it not been for the fact the 98SE system was an IBM and the disks were IBM issue only i would have wiped XP and re-installed 98SE. When 98SE crashed it was always user caused, it never hicupped of it's own accord, never gave me internet drama's, ran quiet and smooth, and best of all it had the original Dr. Watson which was 10 times the program system restore is or Norton GoBack.

Loved every bit of it, but what a good idea to have an annual fee for support of old OS's acklan M$ aren't too bright are they.

As for XP well now that after 4yrs i have finally got a system just the way i want it i ain't touching Vista at all. I see no reason to go to yet another initially unstable OS until the writers spend another few years ironing out all its foibles
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users