Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Link_picring In Add/remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:55 AM

There is one entry in my Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

The name is "link_PicRing".

I have no idea what this is.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 here running XP Media Center.

It's a bit annoying that Add/Remove Programs doesn't give you any useful information about the program in question other than the name that the program has decided to use to identify itself - nothing about its location or a description of what it is.

Search through Windows Explorer finds nothing with this name or resembling it.

Any information that helps would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:31 AM

General rule of thumb, if you can't find it on Google, suspect the worst. Have you downloaded any screensavers, wallpaper, or backrounds?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:03 AM

I did get Webshots, which was downloaded via Download.com -- a long time ago.

Is there something that can be done to find out more?

Yes, Google finds nothing with that name.

By the way, it actually shows as link_PicRing in Add Remove Programs (not the capitals and no capital L)

I'm pretty sure this link_PicRing has been there a long time, and no sign of any strange activity, lesser performance, no viruses found by McAfee (which is always updated) or any of the various anti-spyware programs I have installed (Spyware Blaster, AdAware, Spyware Doctor, SuperAnti-Spyware or Spybot Search & Destroy).

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:57 AM

I found a few references to a program called Pic and Ring, with the file, picring.zip. It's a program with pictures and ringtones for cell phones . The other item was about downloading wall paper. It's probably nothing. If you do remove it, try it in safemode
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2007 - 11:58 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

I just thought of something. I've seen mentions, I think on this site, of utilities that basically are alternatives to Add-Remove Programs. If I used one of those, would they give me some details about what the item is? Perhaps where it is installed -- if I could find the directory it's in, that would probably answer the question of what it is. And if it's installed in some strange place, it might mean it's some kind of malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users