Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Error When Starting Bioshock.exe

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Charles1987

Charles1987

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

Hello guys.
I've been getting this error when trying to start the new game Bioshock;
The instruction at "0x7814507a" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I've seen errors like this before, but only a few times, and never stopping me from doing something. The game doesn't even start, I get that error on my desktop. Clicking OK and CANCEL do exactly the same thing, it just closes the window.

My system specifications are;
Windows XP SP2 (Updated fully)
2GB DDR RAM
ATI X1950 PRO 512MB (Latest drivers installed)
AMD 3500+ 2.2Ghz
WD 10000RPM 75GB HDD (Windows is on here)
WD 7200RPM 160GB HDD (The game is on here)

The game installed Windows C++ 2005 before it could start, if that is of any use to you guys.

So far I've;
Disabled/Increased Virtual Memory - Nothing
Ran AdAware / Spybot S&D - Nothing
Cleaned Registry with EasyCleaner - Nothing
Updated DirectX, ATI drivers, and Creative drivers - Nothing
Re-installed the C++ from MS - Nothing
Re-installed the game - Nothing (I can't install it to the same drive as windows, because the game is owned via Steam, and that would require moving 30GB of other games there as well)

Some people have recommended running a memory test, but I don't have a working floppy drive to boot from, so I'm not sure how to go about that.

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be ace. From what I've read on this error, it can be caused by a lot of things. I'd love to hear anyone's ideas on pinpointing my problem here. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:03 AM

Hi Charles, Ive gone through this problem, have you tried up dating your M/B drivers? As for the memory test go to this link and you can burnt it to a cd http://www.memtest86.com/
I doubt if that is the problem. Have ba look in event viewer and try this link to http://www.eventid.net/

Edited by Monty007, 23 August 2007 - 01:08 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#3 Charles1987

Charles1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

I just updated my motherboard drivers, and it doesn't seem to have done anything.

The event viewer has this for when I start the application;

Application popup: bioshock.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x7814507a" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 26
Source: Application Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: STATUS_LOG_HARD_ERROR

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.

User Action
To correct this problem:
Ensure that the program user has sufficient privileges to access the directory in which the driver is installed.
Reinstall the program to restore the driver to the correct location.

So I'm really at a loss of what to do. If anyone has any other ideas at all, please let me know.

Thanks for your help so far.

#4 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

Are you running the game as Administrator?

Nvidia and AMD (formerly ATI) have both released updates to their drivers which mention improvements in Bioshock.

::EDIT::
It's a hotfix.

Edited by mand0, 23 August 2007 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Charles1987

Charles1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:38 AM

Yes, I'm running it from the only account on my PC (admin).
I just updated the drivers with the hotfix, and I'm still getting the same error. It sounds like that hotfix is for game optimization, my game doesn't even start. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help so far.

#6 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:01 PM

How many memory modules do you have in your computer? Have you tried memtest like Monty007 suggested?

You can try removing one memory module and seeing if the game will run. If you get the same error, place the module that you removed back in and take out another one. See if at any point after removing a memory stick, the error goes away.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Have you tried uninstall then reinstalling the game? Does anything strange show up in Device Manager? Are you overclocking?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Charles1987

Charles1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

Hi, thanks again for all your help.

I'm using two 1GB sticks of RAM.
I just ran MemTest86, which took a horrendous amount of time. :thumbsup:

It came up with one error;

Failing Address
0006c15df94 - 1729.8MB
Good
5561a285
Bad
Err-Bits
Count

However, the error did not show up when I ran the test a second time.

Removing the RAM sticks one by one, and even putting them in the other slots seems to have no effect on the error.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, yes. However that involves re-downloading 6GB of files, and there are limited activations, so I'm trying to exhaust other options before attempting that again.

I don't see anything strange in Device Manager, though I'm not sure what I would be looking for. And I'm not overclocking. My processor and MB are set at default settings in the BIOS, and I have ATI Tray Tools set to not overclock.

#9 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hi Charles1987. Are you saying that when you test each RAM stick all by itself with Memtes86 you get the very same error for both sticks ?

#10 Charles1987

Charles1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

I ran MemTest86 with both RAM sticks in, and got the single error. I then ran it again for good measure, and got no errors.
I then proceeded to remove one stick at a time, and boot up/start the game.

Thanks.

Edit: Is there a way to make sure my administrator account has 100% access rights and privileges? I just got another error saying something could not be read from virtual memory due to access rights.

Edited by Charles1987, 23 August 2007 - 08:00 PM.

#11 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

OK. Pull 1 stick out and let Memtest run for 3 complete passes. If the error shows up then that is your bad stick. Rerun Memtest with just the other stick for 3 passes.

A bad stick needs to be thrown away or, if you bought it yourself, returned to the vendor (if still under warranty) or manufacturer for a replacement. Most reputable RAM manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their RAM products.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:18 AM

In order to ensure proper access, you'll have to drill down into the security features of the hard disk and the registry to make the changes needed to ensure this access. And, to do that, you'll need to know where the access problem is located in order to do this.

Most likely it's related to the Bioshock program - so you may want to try taking ownership of the files and folders within it ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/ )

Other than that, I'd suggest a repair install of Windows in order to reset the system permissions ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

Are you using a wide screen monitor?
Bioshock forum
Disscusion on Bioshock
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users