Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Won't Win 3.1 Prog Run Under Xp?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hi, I just downloaded the free Tower Air Traffic Control Simulator from here -
http://www.scenery.org/atc_sims.htm

but I can't get it to run, it's an old (15ish-years) Win3.1 game and it used to run perfectly on my ancient past PCs, but now it doesn't seem to want to run under WinXP Home.
Firstly a message comes up saying it "will only run under EXACTLY 256 colors." (isn't XP 256?)
Secondly another message appears saying "Error - this version of MSVCR is only intended for Win 32s" whatever that means.
If you haven't guessed, I'm PC-illiterate.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:16 PM

It might be that the program will not run on an NTFS file system. Some programs just do not run, try running it in DOS box or running Win 3.1 in a VM
-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:14 AM

You might take a look at this link as a way to: Run Older Programs on Windows XP

Be (compatibility) Safe

Da Bleepin, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:33 PM

No joy (sniffle), I tried the 'Run Older Progs on Win XP' routine but just kept getting an error beep accompanied by this unfathomable message - "Error - this version of MSVCR is only intended for Win 32s", no matter what combination I tried in Win 95/ 98 and 2000..
So I'm at a dead end, I don't know nuffink bout trying DOS boxes or Win 3.1 in a VM and stuff

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Everything I am about to say is from memory of Windows 3.1x: Win32s was a download from Microsoft. It was used to add some 32 bit functionality to Windows 3.1. If I remember correctly, support of win32s was discontinued about the time windows 95 was released, as it was included in Win95. I believe the files were included in windows up through the release of Windows ME and 2000. There are several DLLs contained in this subsystem that are no longer supported in windows XP. As this program needs those specific file to run, it fails because the files are not included in XP.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried the compatibility mode for Windows NT?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:19 AM

Nah, I'm giving up, I'm almost 60 years old and can't figger out these newfangled 'computer' things

#8 A+ Certified Tech

A+ Certified Tech

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:35 PM

I agree with others that it is the file system NTFS.. most or nearly all DOS programs are FAT, and FAT16
Which means its VERY old. have you tried compatability mode??

#9 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:38 PM

What's compatibility mode?

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Compatibilty Mode is what I posted above in post #3 and you said "No joy (sniffle)".

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2007 - 02:20 PM

Oh that, yeah I ran a 'compatibility check' which said something about my system being incompatible, that's why I said "no joy (sniffle)", bin there, dun that..

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 September 2007 - 06:14 AM

Here's a link on how to use Compatibility Mode in XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/h.../appcompat.mspx

Try it in both Windows 95 and Windows NT. (FWIW - I was able to get the Omar Sharif Bridge game for WFW 3.11 to run in Vista by using the compatibility mode there).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users