Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restarting For Connection To Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Wayne

Jim Wayne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

I am new at this but wondered if anyone else has this problem.. I recently went to a broadband connection and it seems like almost everytime the computer goes into screansaver or powersaver on the moniter I will have to restart to get internet back. Sometimes have to disconnect computer from power for several minutes. My IP says its my computers problem. Please help. Jim Wayne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:56 AM

Is your firewall blocking you while in screen saver mode? Although since you have to restart your computer, it sounds like something more complex than the firewall.

#3 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

a problem similar to yours is one of the reasons i joined this forum site... a friend of mine and my daughter both have the problem of having to reboot their computers to access the internet after they've been gone from the computer for a while... they don't necessarily have any screensavers running... it happens just from the computer being idle... both are on DSL... both computers are set to Never on all of their power saver controls... neither computer is set for hibernation... both have ZA as their firewalls but i don't think that's the problem... this problem has stumped me for months and i hope someone will be able to help...

you also might want to check the two things i mentioned above (power saver controls & hibernation) to see if your computer is set for any of them...

thanks
geeneeree
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

In Zone Alarm you need to put few things in the trusted zone to keep the connection live.
Your network with the subnet mask (probably already is there).
IP addresses of the DHCP server and the DNS(s), likely two of them. If they aren't there, the connections might be getting lost. Very likely all these are in your router, in which case just one line will do. Something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.
Put in the loopback address if not already there (127.0.0.1).

You can get all the IP numbers from the command window by doing ipconfig /all there.

Also you need to permit Generic Host Process to act as a server in the trusted zone (3 green checks), that's on the Program control tab.

Once you do all the above, it'll work fine in standby or hibernation so long as you don't allow the computer to shut down the network card when it sleeps. I actually set ZA to shut down all internet connection while doing standby or screen saver. When I come back, hit a key, it all reawakens nicely and the connection is not messed up.

I don't know about the other firewalls, but I would think the concept is similar.

Edited by tos226, 27 August 2007 - 10:44 PM.

#5 geeneeree

geeneeree

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:10 PM

thanks for the info... i checked my ZA configurations and saw those numbers there... i'll check on my friend's computer and my daughter's computer as soon as i can... also, my friend was told that it might be her ethernet card that's causing the problem... do you think that's possible? i have a portable USB ethernet connection that i can try and i'll be doing that on Sunday...

thanks for any ideas you can think of for me to try...

GNR
:thumbsup:
The more you know about computers, the more you realize you don't know about computers!

#6 The Pretender

The Pretender

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

thanks for the info... i checked my ZA configurations and saw those numbers there... i'll check on my friend's computer and my daughter's computer as soon as i can... also, my friend was told that it might be her ethernet card that's causing the problem... do you think that's possible?

The problem is ZoneAlarm, but rather than having to restart the computer, you could shut down ZA and restart it. It's a decent free firewall, but if it's giving you problems, it might be easier to just get a new one. Or, as I said, just turn the firewall off and restart it.

As for the card, I've seen some strange problems caused by ethernet cards, but before you blame it, try to make sure it is not something else. With your description, I'd say it's not the card. Hope this helps.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:42 PM

but rather than having to restart the computer, you could shut down ZA and restart it.

And how is that supposed to maintain a connection? :thumbsup: If you said to reboot, I'd believe it.

Simplified: When you connect to a site, it checks periodically if you're still there. If no response, they drop the connection. Hibernating/sleeping computer will not respond. If you setup ZA the way I described above, the connection is maintained.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=30662
http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/...message.id=8962
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_...ration_Protocol

Edited by tos226, 21 September 2007 - 08:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users