Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccsvchst.exe Application Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fcbnikskitz

fcbnikskitz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hey all,

Have been searching long and hard to try and find an answer to this one, so thought I might try on here and see what people have to say about it.

I'm running Windows XP and unfortunately using Norton Internet Security 2006 - The problem is that everytime (well..almost) I shut down my computer I get and error message saying that "ccSvcHst.exe Application Error" - furthermore when it moves to the screen that says shutting down your computer I get another error - saying "0x00538e05" could not be referenced to memory such and such "0xc0a86330". Now it appears that the Symantec website offers no tools, even suggestions in regards to why this could be happening. It's not actually really interfering with anything, well not that I can tell anyway, but I don't like errors and I'd love to know if anyone out there has a similar problem and possible solutions...

Cheers in Advance,
Nik in Sydney.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

When doing a search on the net for your particular problem, you will find this is a common complaint with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another.

However, there were two common suggestions to resolve the issue.

First, a patch was released so run Live Update manually and look for the COH updates. Reboot afterwards.

Second, you have to uninstall NIS completely from your system using the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) for your version of Windows and then reinstall it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 fcbnikskitz

fcbnikskitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

Cheers, came across the same sort of stuff. I'll give the manual update a go...thanks.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:34 AM

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :thumbsup:
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 fcbnikskitz

fcbnikskitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:44 PM

Update:

So I went to the symantec website and did the manual live update...nothing. Although I did notice a little note towards the bottom of the web page that said that Symantec is permitting all Norton Internet Security 2006 users to download and use the 2007 version for the duration of their remaining subscription. It noted that most of the bugs from 2006 are fixed in the 2007 version. So I downloaded the 2007 version and have not incurred the error since. Having said that I don't hold out hope for Symantec, and it's only been 1 day...and since installing 2007 I have had issues with my email program...typical. Anyhow it definately seems to have fixed that glitch, now I eagerly await future symantec based glitches until my subscription runs out upon which point i will promptly change products...norton...never again.

Again, a million thanks.
Nik.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

Your welcome. :thumbsup: