Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Opening Applications And Adding/removing Programs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BayouGirl

BayouGirl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:17 PM

Good afternoon, all! I know this isn't the forum to introduce ourselves, but I'm a student and New Orleans resident, and as if I don't have enough crap to deal with in this city, my computer is going to hell in a handbasket.

The short and long of it:

I have Windows XP, Service Pack 2.

This past weekend, I used this website in conjunction with "Autoruns.exe" to make my startup time faster. After identifying the programs to disable, I rebooted in safemode and deleted the entries. They were harmless entries, like roxio-drag-to-disc, etc.

While in safemode, I ran a virus scan using McAfee. It found Exploit-VMLFill Trojan.exe on my computer and deleted multiple files. The trojan was located in the Symantic Antivirus folder, which is an antivirus program I no longer use because it seemed to stop working awhile back, skipping over files during the scan. (Maybe this is why?) Anyway, the trojan was deleted (as it couldn't be cleaned) and I moved on.

Once out of safemode, I next unintentionally uninstalled "Ipod Helper" from add/remove programs.

This brings me to present day. Itunes will not open for me. I also cannot delete itunes OR quicktime from my computer using add/remove. When I try, the uninstaller freezes halfway through. I tried to delete them manually then reinstall, but the installer freezes halfway through.

I next tried to use system restore to go back, but system restore will not open. I can see it in the processes list in the Task Manager, but the screen will not physically appear. I also cannot open the Microsoft "Help Center" - the process shows up in Task manager, but the screen never pops up.

Thus, I REALLY have no idea what is going on with my computer. Some files will open, some will not. Really, all I want to do is get my iTunes working so I can use my ipod on the long walks to school.

And as if this isn't enough, I checked my McAfee scan log, and there are multiple entries from the past days saying:

"A thread in process C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2160 (0x870)
Thread address : 0x7C90EB94
Thread message :

Build VSCORE.13.3.1.100 / 5100.194
Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\APTemp\APQ8.tmp "

Does this mean I still have the virus? Also, I started recently getting the error message from windows that it cannot detect any antivirus software, which is baffling since I physically have 2 antivirus programs installed on my computer.

Ahhhh - any help, insight, guidance would be appreciated. Even if it is bad news. I am spent.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Hello BayouGirl and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Have you tried running the uninstall from Safe Mode?
Go to the Event Viewer located in the Administrative Tools under the Control Panel. List the details of the last four error messages, in this topic.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

After that, you might want to look into the Norton Removal Tool, since you dont want to use Nortons anymore:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

Just as a guess, it's possible that what happened was McAfee got a false positive from the Nortons definition library, and wreaked havoc on the Nortons program. Norton's uses a cornucopia of resource gobbling TSR programs running in the background - these can cause system lags even when they work as they were intended. I'm sure McAfee uses a respectable amount of CPU & memory as well. Combined with a crippled Norton's program, the situation is less than optimal. Thats why I'm suggesting you completely remove all traces of Norton's. Hopefully, that will make a difference. Then you can try uninstalling other programs the normal way, hopefully with better results. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 BayouGirl

BayouGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:26 PM

So helpful! :thumbsup:

I must say, I did try uninstalling in safemode, and i got an error telling me that I CAN'T uninstall because I am in safemode.

I will try COMPLETELY removing norton from my computer tonight, and see what happens. I'll report back tomorrow!

Thanks again with the help; it is very appreciated!

#5 BayouGirl

BayouGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

Me again! Sorry it took so long to reply - I had to travel unexpectedly.

Per your request, here are the last 4 errors in the event viewer, under the "Application" log:

FIRST:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: McLogEvent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5051
Date: 8/22/2007
Time: 4:39:16 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: AMANDA
Description:
A thread in process C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2160 (0x870)
Thread message :

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\APTemp\APQ8.tmp
by C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

SECOND:

Event Source: SecurityCenter
Event ID: 1802
Time: 4:37:13 PM
User: N/A
Description:
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0e 10 04 80 ...

THIRD:

Event Source: McLogEvent
Event ID: 5051
Time: 4:22:31 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
A thread in process C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\Mcshield.exe took longer than 90000 ms to complete a request.
The process will be terminated. Thread id : 2104 (0x838)
Thread message :

Object being scanned = \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\APTemp\APQ7.tmp
by C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
4(0)(0)
4(0)(0)
7200(0)(0)
7595(0)(0)
7005(0)(0)
7004(0)(0)
5006(0)(0)
5004(0)(0)

FOURTH:

Event Source: SecurityCenter
Event ID: 1802
Time: 4:20:19 PM
Description:
The Windows Security Center Service was unable to establish event queries with WMI to monitor third party AntiVirus and Firewall.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0e 10 04 80 ...

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what any of these mean!

Second, I tried to uninstall both quicktime and itunes in safemode, but when I try, an error pops up stating that the uninstall cannot be completed because I am in safemode.

I also tried to uninstall Norton completely - however, it is seemingly impossible. I downloaded the "removal tool" from the website. When I ran it, it told me it could not run unless I remove Symantic Antivirus 9 via Add/Remove programs. So I tried to remove the program that way; however, the screen pops up stating it is "Gathering Information", and the progress bar will not fill in more than 1/2 way. It just freezes there.

I am feeling hopeless. :thumbsup:

Edited by BayouGirl, 26 August 2007 - 10:50 AM.

#6 BayouGirl

BayouGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

Added: I also just noticed that there is another log in Event Viewer, the "System" log, which also contains "warnings" and "errors". In the interest of being complete, here are the last 4 errors/warnings in the "System" log:

FIRST:

Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7011
Date: 8/24/2007
Time: 5:52:24 PM
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the McShield service.

SECOND:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event ID: 36
Date: 8/23/2007
Time: 6:16:21 AM
Description:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

THIRD:

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Time: 3:46:59 PM
User: AMANDA\Administrator
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service MSIServer with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

FOURTH:

Event Source: DCOM
Event ID: 10005
Time: 3:46:52 PM
User: AMANDA\Administrator
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service MSIServer with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2007 - 09:40 PM

I would start by uninstalling MacAfee's Security Suite. That appears to be the problem in post #5. Once you have uninstalled it restart your computer. If you have or are going to uninstall Norton also I would recommend you download AVG free edition and install it as soon as you uninstall the other two. It is never good to be without an antivirus, even for a few minutes.

AVG Free Edition

#8 BayouGirl

BayouGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

The saga continues!

I followed your suggestion and uninstalled McAfee. It uninstalled successfully! - which is bizarre, since I haven't been able to successfully uninstall ANYTHING in awhile.

After uninstalling McAfee, I tried to uninstall Symantic Antivirus 9, via add/remove programs. Half way through the process, I received the following popup screen:

"Internal Error 2318. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition\7.5\ATPemp\AP10.tmp."

Then, I received a popup from Norton itself, stating:

Auto-Protect results:
Risk: "Downloader"
Action: "Deleted"
Count: 2
File Name: AP10.tmp

Now, I have tried to remove Symantec through add/remove, I get the same internal error 2318, and the same anti-virus popup stating it has deleted the "Downloader".

And I still can't uninstall Symantec. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

Try using the norton removal tool
http://service1.symantec.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 BayouGirl

BayouGirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

Success!!!

It turns out I had a trojan in the Symantec folder - I restarted in safemode and cleaned that virus like a champion.

Now, everything is FINALLY running smoothly. I was able to reinstall iTunes and all of my programs are actually opening when I click on them.

I think the culprit was McAfee. Once it was uninstalled, things sailed smoothly from there. Thank you all SO MUCH for your help.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 05:02 PM

Unless you have your heart set on Norton I would uninstall it and install AVG, SyGate, Spybot S&D,.. But that is just my opinion.
Congrats.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

Don't run more than one anti-virus at the same time - they'll fight each other for access to files and may let a virus slip through undetected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users