Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bioshock

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 i have no name

i have no name

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:45 PM

Bioshock recently came out I am just wondering is there anyone else besides me who actually bought it or actually knows it exists?
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:39 PM

I know about it and I tried the demo, I'm not seeing the same amount of 'awesomeness' from it that others see. The demo wasn't bad, but it didn't leave me with this "this game is ground breaking" feeling like tons of people seem to be hyping it up to be.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:59 PM

I'm still waiting for it to come out over here. It is probably the most anticipated PC game to come out this year. I can't wait to immerse myself in the narrative awesomeness. :thumbsup:
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:35 AM

I was watching some videos of people playing it on youtube, and I don't see what is so great about it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 i have no name

i have no name
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:32 AM

I just wanted to say i think it is more of a borrow from a friend or rent it tpye of game, it took me about 2 days to beat but they claim each play through is never the same.
My system specs
Small chip that goes fast some spinning things a case, a mouse, and a keyboard and a wonderful rectanlge box of colors.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I played the demo and watching G4's Attack of the Show and reading reviews on it, it's not as great as people think it is. Also an issue that effected me was widescreen play. It's not enhanced for widescreen, it's just cropped and zoomed. This might just be the Demo, but that's a big drawback for me. As for graphics otherwise, they're pretty good and the game play seem nice. I'd probably buy it and play it a few times, or maybe rent it, but you can't rent PC games, lol. I'll see once i get my hands on a full version if it's worth the time.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

I'm just back from my first experience of Bioshock, which I got running after fighting with the copy protection for a while. Turns out Securom won't allow to a game to be run if you have Process Explorer running in the background. Even worse is that it isn't enough to close Process Explorer, you have to restart the computer.

Not the demo, nor YouTube clips, nor any of the trailers manage to convey the parts that make this game stand above the crowd. It is the game world, the depth, the story, the atmosphere. Its ugly and beautiful and horrible at the same time.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

My son just got that today. I'll have to get a review tommorrow after he plays it for a while.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:17 AM

This is, without a doubt, one of the best games I have ever played (behind Half-Life 2).

I got it the day it was released - I was simply browsing the games at Wal-Mart and saw it. There was one copy left.

It runs perfectly on my system. Who needs a 360 when you have two GeForce 8600 w/256mb running in SLI :thumbsup:

I was bluescreening a few times, but I got the updated drivers and it runs smooth as butter now.

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

It runs perfectly on my system. Who needs a 360 when you have two GeForce 8600 w/256mb running in SLI :thumbsup:

You need a 360 for Halo 3 :flowers:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#11 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2007 - 06:05 PM

Well I tried the demo on my system with my x1300 PCI 256mb card :thumbsup: . Anyways, this game is actually really fun. I gave up though once guns came into combat I got 8 FPS which is unplayable. Before that, just walking around I was getting 15-25FPS. This was playing with all settings at low 800x600 resolution. I really didn't mind it, I would probably get the game if I got at least 20FPS during gun fights. Oh well :flowers: .

Oh ya and I was wondering what the money in the game was for? I think I got almost 30$ in it before I quit.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#12 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Money is for buying weapon ammo, health packs, EVE, and different stuff. You can buyout machines rather than hack them to lower the prices of items, too.

#13 willyhog

willyhog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:11 PM

Bioshock is everything it is cracked to be....bought it via Steam the other day...it is so amazing. The gameplay combines the free-roamingness and intuitiveness of RPG's with the brutality and intensity of FPS's, all while having incredible graphics and a lightweight interface. BTW...for the dude who was running it on all low settings with dual x1300's, I have a pretty bad computer myself (single core P4 2.53mhz 533mhz fsb, 1.53gb ram, and a geforce 6200 tc 512mb), but even I was getting 25 fps :thumbsup: on the gunfights. Anyway, more on gameplay. The whole "adam" thing is ridiculous to anyone who has taken high school bio, but it looks so freakin awesome at the same time, you just don't care. Anyway, (lol) the point. Ok, so you're this dude who's plane crashes into cold atlantic waters, and you're the only survivor. You swim through the wreckage of your plane in the water, flames dancing all around, and go up these steps to a big@$$ lighthouse in the middle of nowhere. You walk in, and the door shuts behind you. (of course) Lights snap on. Big statue staring at you, freaky banner. Walk down stairs to a lil metal ball submarine (bathysphere) which you go into and pul a lever. Door shuts. Bathysphere starts descending. You see a movie pop up. It explains about Rapture, and then you see Rapture, drift into the docking station. A bad dude (a splicer, genetically mutated dude) owns a guy in fron of you and then this random person on the radio tells you to step out and not be afraid of the thing that just impaled someone with metal hooks in front of you. OK. So you do, and find a wrench and smash thru to the other room. After that, you beat up your first baddie. You guessed it--beating them repeatedly with that selfsame wrench. But no more wrenches for long! Uuuup the stairs. Find a creepy vending machine that has a stange hypodermic needle filled ith glowing pink fluids....what does your guy do? Shoves it in his arm. Cooool. You generally go crazy and fall off the balcony onto the lower story again. But when you wake up, you can blast things with lightning. The mana in this game is called Eve, and the way you replenish it is by sticking a needle in your arm. (weird) So you short circuit the lock leading out, and the door opens. You toddle your way across the level until you reach an elevator. Press button. Go up. Then you find your first gun, which is great. OK, now that I've given you a basic tour of the start of the game, here is an overview of the plot. A guy named Andrew Ryan created an underwater city called Rapture, a haven for free thinkers under the sea. One day, one of the scientists discovered that a dock worker who had been unable to move his fingers for years after an injury was able to move them again after being bitten by a strange sea slug. The scientists investigated the slug, and they found that it was able to resurrect dead cells in the body. They called this new lifegiver "Adam." They used other properties of the Adam to modify the body's genes and give humans new superhuman powers. However, the people who had been modified by the Adam, or "spliced", could not take the incredible strain these new powers put on their minds and bodies. They all went insane. You come in after all of this happens. But you have to play the gmae to find out more! One extra cookie: The strange little girls with orange eyes (Little Sisters) carry Adam inside them, and the guys in diving suits "Big Daddies" protect them. Also, the Big Daddies are not as hard to beat as the videos tell you. A full clip in the head with a shotgun easily kills them, and like only an incinerate plasmid and two electric shotgun blasts can dispatch em.

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

I bought it last week and am loving it. There is a ton to do and I have not even experimented with the combinations you can make.

#15 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

I think your talking about my post willyhog, and I only had 1 x1300, and its PCI slot which has really low bandwidth. This christmas I plan on making my new system though :thumbsup: . Maybe I'll get this game then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users