Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

data on fat32 HD unreadable in xp? [crosspost from hardware]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 milljw

milljw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hello [Please excuse this cross-posting if you read it in hardware, but it may be an xp problem]

My Windows ME system died a few weeks ago, but all the files/directories on the WD 30GB hard drive were still readable in DOS using the ME rescue disk--I even copied a few small files to a floppy. In the interests of recovering my data, I purchased a Kingwin USB external enclosure so I could copy the files to my Windows XP laptop.

Oddly, though, when I installed the HD in the enclosure and hooked it to my laptop, all the files were gone! All that remained were some WD utility files that shipped with the drive when it was new. Obviously, the HD couldn't have gotten wiped, or those files wouldn't be there. So where is my data?

The WD drive is using the FAT32 file system--could this be the problem? Would the "convert" command help? According to the MS website, XP should be able to read FAT32 files.

I haven't yet reinstalled the HD in the old ME box to make sure the data is still there, but assuming it is, how can I make XP recognize it?

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

To start, check the jumpers on the drive in the encluser and make sure that they are set to Master (not slave or cable select). Next, if you have USB 2.0 on your XP machine try disabling Legacy Support for the USB ports.

Reply back with results.

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 milljw

milljw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for your help. I have tried the jumper in master and in single drive positions, but it looks the same either way.

My XP computer is 3 years old, and it has USB 1.1

Edited by milljw, 03 February 2005 - 02:05 PM.

#4 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:32 PM

What drivers are you using for the drive (the manufacturer's or the winxp)? If not using the winxp try those. Also make sure you have the latest usb patch from ms:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;822603

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#5 milljw

milljw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2005 - 02:53 PM

I've been using the XP drivers--I have the latest (I think) usb drivers that came with XP SP2. That USB patch wouldn't install over SP2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users