Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Comes And Goes Constantly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:54 PM

I just moved into an apartment on a college campus. My PC continuously changes from limited to no connectivity and then back to acquiring network adress to full connectivity. It wil then stay fully connected for about 20 to 30 seconds before resetting again. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:14 PM

I assume this is wireless, but confirm for me first that this is not a local wired connection.

If it's wireless, what's the signal strength for the network you are connecting to? Do you have more than one wireless network SSID in your list of wireless networks?
Posted Image

#3 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

That's the thing. It is NOT wireless, that's why I dont know what is causing the problem. Do you think it is possible that the servers at my university are just running into too much traffic?
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

It sounds very much like a DHCP issue, as in their DHCP server.
The next time you get a connection, go to the command prompt and enter in: ipconfig /all
Pay attention to the Lease obtained and Lease expired values. It could be that they're using a short DHCP lease to do logins, and once you're authenticated on the network the server will give you a more permanent lease.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users