Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wikedawsum

wikedawsum

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

I have a new Dell computer that I just setup at our sales counter here in my office. It was purchased to replace an old computer running Windows 98. I'm having problems connecting to the internet with the new computer. We have 3 computers at the counter and all are connected to the same switch. When I set the new computer up, I just used the same cable that was connected to the old computer. When I open Internet Explorer it will try to load for several seconds and then I get the Page Cannot be Displayed msg and at the bottom it says "Cannot connect to server or DNS error."

I have tried switching out the ethernet cable from the computer to the switch. I've checked the IP settings and compared with another computer on the same switch and they are exactly the same (except for the computer's IP address). I've also tried renewing the IP address, and using the repair feature on the LAN settings. I can ping to other computers on our network, and am able to access our internal Citrix Metaframe site, but I cannot ping to any outside website.

I have never encountered this issue before and am at a loss as to what to try next. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Oh, and this computer is running Windows XP with SP2.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi wikedawsum,

There are many possible reasons this is happening and the contributing factors vary for every individual computer.

Start by clearing old files and settings may be preventing you from connecting to the Internet.

Click on Tools.
Select Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
Click the Delete Files button.
When the box opens, put a check in Delete All Offline Content.
Click Okay.
Click Delete Cookies. When you are prompted to confirm this selection, click Okay.
Click Settings.
Click View Objects.
Click View, and then click Details.
If Damaged appears in the Status column for any program file, remove that program file.
Close the Downloaded Program Files dialog box.
In the Settings dialog box, click OK .
Under History, click Clear History, and then click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the selection.
In the Internet Options dialog box, click Okay.

Try to browse the Internet.

If no joy, lets see if we can try and repair the internet connection.

Click Start, click Run, type netsh winsock reset and then click Okay.
When the Command Prompt flashes, restart the computer.

Note: If you have a program that no longer functions correctly after you follow this step, reinstall the program.

Also see if there is anything in this Micro$oft Article that helps: Page Cannot be Displayed

Edited by TMacK, 23 August 2007 - 07:23 PM.
Correct spelling mistake

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users