Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Not Recognized In My Computer. (gigabank 250g External Hard Drive)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rdr8887

rdr8887

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

I bought a GigaBank 250G External Hard Drive last November (still under manufacturer warranty). But, I do not want to return it to lose the 200G of data stored on the drive.

All of a sudden one day, I turned on the hard drive and nothing happened. I switched USB cables, switched USB ports, and even switched computers with no success.

Nothing is happening with the Hard Drive.

Even if it is a complete failure (needing to be replaced), I would like to retrieve my data from it first.

Any suggestions appreciated....

Thanks,
Ray

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

What if anything does the hard drive do when you plug it in?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

1. power adapter is dead
2. circuit for ide to usb is dead
3. hard drive died(fat lady sings, that's all she wrote)
4. you would have to remove the drive from the case and hook into a desktop computer to check
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 rdr8887

rdr8887
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:56 PM

What if anything does the hard drive do when you plug it in?

The drive will turn itself on and I can hear it spinning, it just will not be recognized by my pc or laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users