Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Internet Is Broke :-(

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jshapp03

jshapp03

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Long story made short... I let a friend come over and try to share folders between my computer. He made things worse.

My Home PC is XP and my Laptop is Vista.
The internet stopped working on my home computer. It says "Limited or no Connectivity" when I log on. My laptop internet still works though.

When I disconnected and reconnect it messes up at the part "Acquiring Network Address".
Clicking Repair doesn't fix it either. It's weird cause my laptop still works off of it, I'm assuming its a network problem.

I'm not even sure where to start... Is there a way I can just reset my whole network folder to defaults?

I just noticed on the bottom of my login screen it says "Turn Off Computer Room" Thats VERY weird considering he made a folder somewhere called Computer Room.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

Since its a PC, I'll assume your problem connection is wired, not wireless. But definitely say if I'm wrong about this, because it could be important. :flowers:

One easy check is to see if your Firewall is blocking you. Temporarily disable it and see if you can connect.

Then you might confirm that the router and all connected machines are using DHCP.

As a last resort, you could try resetting the router to factory defaults. There should be a reset pinhole in the back or something similar, the documentation should help you find it. The reason why I say last resort is that you might not want to go through the hassle of resetting your security keys, and it wont necessarily fix your original problem. So consider waiting for others to respond to this before trying it.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 jshapp03

jshapp03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

Well I think it's more a network setting than the router/firewall setting.
I've had the router set up for 2 weeks now and not had any problems. And I haven't changed any firewall settings.

It's really weird cause I was ON the internet LAST NIGHT. I wake up this morning and it says "Limited Connectivity"
So I have a feeling my computer did an automated update last night and restarted, thats when the settings kicked in or something maybe?

I REALLY don't want to reset the router, because my laptop seems to be working fine and the correct lights are blinking on it. If I reset it and can't get it back... I won't have any internet to get help from you guys :thumbsup: then i'll really be screwed.

BUT, i'm willing to try anything at this point.
- It says my windows firewalls is enabled and I assume my McAfee firewall is enabled too. I tried turning off the windows firewall, nothing changed. I don't know how to mess with the McAfee one.
- I don't know what DHCP is? That could be the problem, how do I check it?

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

The thing about DHCP is that it's dynamic (hence, the D). So you may have had a valid ip assigned last night, and an invalid one assigned later, causing the problem.

Bring up a command box (click start -> run then in type cmd in the field).
Type ipconfig /all at the prompt.
post results here.

Also, go try these steps, from a MS KB Article:

To check the DHCP settings, follow these steps:
a. Open the properties of the adapter on the client computer.
b. Click to select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the list of clients and protocols, and then click Properties.
c. In the TCP/IP Properties dialog box, on the General tab, verify that the Obtain an IP address automatically and the Obtain DNS server address automatically check boxes are selected.
d. If you still do not have a valid IP address assigned after checking these settings, try setting the TCP/IP properties manually. Set the IP address for an unused IP address, 192.168.0.x, where x is a number between 2 and 254 that is not already in use on the home network. Set the subnet mask for 255.255.255.0, the default gateway for 192.168.0.1, and the preferred and alternate DNS server settings for 192.168.0.1.

Post back with results, and dont hesitate to ask if any of it is unclear. :thumbsup:

[edit] if you're wireless, check for radio interference (eg the computer is close to a cordless phone, for example)

Edited by jhsmurray, 22 August 2007 - 02:23 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#5 jshapp03

jshapp03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:42 PM

Ok, did that IP check thing, heres the results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Shapp>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FAMILY-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-88-F1-D8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

C:\Documents and Settings\Justin Shapp>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You asked if the computer was wireless... No it's not. My desktop is wired and I have wireless router for my laptop.

I also did up to step C on that other thing you posted. I was afraid to do D.... Will that affect my IP to where I will have to change a setting on my laptop to get wireless internet.

Edited by jshapp03, 22 August 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#6 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:24 PM

My desktop is wired and I have wireless router for my laptop.

Ok that simplifies things a bit. Quick question, you are only using one router on your network, and both of your computers are linked to it, correct? Or is the wireless an Access Point off of a wired-only router?

Looking at your ipconfig results, it does seem as though you are not receiving the assignment from the router. For example, if the router had succesfully assigned the ip information to your PC, your default gateway (aka router) should be set to the ip address of the router, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 (in my experience, anyways), and your ip address should be something like 192.168.{some number less than 255}.{some number less than 255} . Since this is not the case, something is preventing DHCP from doing its thing.

Now, it is possible your friend turned off the DHCP feature on the router, and your laptop is running off of a fixed local ip address (which would explain why your laptop is working, whilst your PC is not). Can you confirm that DHCP is running on the router? There should be some documentation for it when you bought it (or online, on the company support site).

PS - You were quite right in disabling one of your two software firewalls. Having more than one software firewall running at the same time on your computer is not advised, as they tend to "trip" on one another. Moving forward, I would strongly advise choosing only one of them to be active.

Edited by jhsmurray, 22 August 2007 - 03:25 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#7 jshapp03

jshapp03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

First, thanks SO much for the help your giving me. I didn't expect someone to reply the first day! Much less keep checking back with me :flowers:

I guess I have two routers but I'll explain the setup just to make sure....
My ISP gave me a little box when I first got my internet. It has 3 plugs going to power/phone/desktop. I think it's called ADSL if that matters.
A few weeks ago I got the wireless router. I unplugged the desktop wire and put it in my wireless router, then I added an ethernet from the wireless router to the desktop.

I kind of understand the ip information you were talking about but im confused about the DCHP stuff... I do still have the wireless routers box, I don't have the ISP's router box though.
Not sure what im suppost to do :thumbsup:

Edited by jshapp03, 22 August 2007 - 04:04 PM.

#8 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

First, thanks SO much for the help your giving me. I didn't expect someone to reply the first day! Much less keep checking back with me :flowers:

You're quite welcome, I'm glad to help. :thumbsup:

I guess I have two routers but I'll explain the setup just to make sure....
My ISP gave me a little box when I first got my internet. It has 3 plugs going to power/phone/desktop. I think it's called ADSL if that matters.

It sounds to me that you are describing an ADSL modem here. Its what modulates and demodulates the signal over the phone line, so you can use it for accessing the internet. ADSL = "Asynchronous Digital Subscribers Line" - asynchronous because the speed with which you download is different than the speed you can upload. There isnt really much you can do with a modem, at least not in the context of this issue, so we'll leave it as it is.

A few weeks ago I got the wireless router. I unplugged the desktop wire and put it in my wireless router, then I added an ethernet from the wireless router to the desktop.

I think it might help to examine the settings on this piece of equipment, as it would be the thing that administers the DHCP service. Do you have the make and model number handy?

Acer Aspire 5732z

#9 jshapp03

jshapp03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

I think it might help to examine the settings on this piece of equipment, as it would be the thing that administers the DHCP service. Do you have the make and model number handy?

I really don't think it's the router thats the problem.. but if it helps it's the Linksys Wireless-G Speedbooster. Model WRT54GS.

The guy didn't go very deep whatever he did... From what I saw he played around with 2 things.
1. In my network connections folder I have 2 connections... 1394 and Local Area.. He played with the properties in both.
----- at one point something started to load UPnP (whatever that is) and he canceled half way through.
2. He also went to network places and did the "Add Network Place Wizard"... He did it a few times and deleted them when he was done (he seemed delete happy, I hope he didn't delete something important)

Again.... It was working fine for like 3 days AFTER he did all this. So it may not of even been him :thumbsup:
I'm just assuming it was him because I haven't changed any settings recently and it doesn't seem like a virus.

Edit:
Last night I let the computer stay logged on and this morning a McAfee firewall box was on the screen. Heres a picture of it. Should I approve or dissaprove it???
Posted Image

Edited by jshapp03, 23 August 2007 - 12:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users