Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard/cpu Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 racingfan

racingfan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading. Most of my hardware is not very old but the Motherboard and CPU are a bit outdated.
CPU Type is Intel Celeron D 340, 2933 MHz (22 x 133) 478 socket.
mo'board chipset is VIA P4M800.

I'm wanting to upgrade to Pentium Dual Core. More pins on the socket etc.
Can I only upgrade the motherboard and CPU and install the hardware that I have now onto the new board?
Also, would I have to reformatt the hard drive in order to install it on the new board?

Edited by racingfan, 22 August 2007 - 08:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

You'll have to spec out the rest of your system first, please.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

I'm wanting to upgrade to Pentium Dual Core. More pins on the socket etc.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to something decent instead of a Pentium Dual-core. The amount of pins has really no meaning to the end-user.

Can I only upgrade the motherboard and CPU and install the hardware that I have now onto the new board?

Provided it is compatible with the new motherboard. You need to tell us what you have so that we can find out.

Also, would I have to reformatt the hard drive in order to install it on the new board?

Upgrading the motherboard will mess up you Windows installation, but you do no need to reformat to fix it. A repair installation is enough.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 racingfan

racingfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

I'm open for suggestions on motherboard and CPU. Is the Dual Core not a good choice? What's better but in the same price range?

Besides what I already mentioned, system specs are:

Hard drive: 160gb, 7200rpm, Ultra-ATA/100
Creative SB Live sound card.
Radeon 9200 128mb graphics card.
512 memory, 2) 256mb sticks.

Not sure what other "specs" you need, please let me know if I missed something.
Thanks!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

Need to know the make and model of the motherboard. If you're not sure, download SIW It's a handy little program that will give you the information
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 racingfan

racingfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:18 AM

Everest Home Ed. says
Motherboard name: unknown
Manufacturer:
Micro-Star International Co., LTD
Product ID: MS-7104
Version 1.0

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

The Pentium D's are not very high-tech at all. It's basically dual Pentium 4's stacked on top of each other. TheE4400 Core 2 Duo would take your Pentium D out on the street and beat it to death and hey it actually costs $25 less. You'll also want to upgrade to 1-2GB of RAM and probably a new video card. Your old processor is an LGA 775 so no problem there. Make sure your mobo you buy has Core 2 Duo support. Try this one. It's a good low-end Core 2 Duo motherboard. However if this is not a custom PC, like if you bought it from Dell, you won't be able to buy a new mobo because their mobos are special form factors that are not produced and sold aftermarket.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 22 August 2007 - 12:38 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:46 AM

You'll have to:
1) make sure that the new motherboard will fit in your case (not a problem if this is a custom built system - but may be an issue if it's a special sized case or a PC made by the major manufacturers.
2) make sure that the new motherboard not only supports the LGA 775 socket - but that it's also Core 2 Duo capable. There's still some boards out there that don't fit both.
3) make sure that you don't have any proprietary hardware that won't fit the new board.

According to this link ( http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PM8M-V ) your board is in the micro-ATX form factor - so larger formats may not fit your case. Be careful before buying!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 racingfan

racingfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the help and info!
I think I can manage to get the correct board and processor. I'll be careful and make sure of what I'm buying. Now I have another question.
If I install my old hard drive with WinXP already installed, someone here said that it would "mess up" my Windows installation and that I would need to do a "repair installation", How do I do that? Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users