Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erunt, Vista And Uac

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

I would like to get ERUNT to run and create (or replace) a reg backup, for that day, everytime someone succesfully logs in, without all the alarms.

However, I'm not sure if I'm going about it in the right way. I've skimmed the readme.txt for the app, and have tried a couple of things.

Two methods I have tried:
A. If I add a shortcut to the executable in the startup folder. At login, Vista stops it from running, unless I manually allow it (by clicking the appropriate selection in a systray icon).
B. If I create a new scheduled task to run whenever someone logs in, I get the UAC alert asking me if I want to run this program. I understand this is because the program doesnt have a recognized signature.

In general, UAC is a good thing for me to have, so I'd prefer to have it on.

I suppose I can put up with the alerts until 1) I get sick of UAC and turn it off completely, 2) wait for the developer to come up with a new release, optimized for the Vista alert system, 3) just remember to run it manually, and turn of the automation. But if there are other options anyone else can think of, it would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Lastly, is anyone familiar with Vista's advanced boot option, "Repair Your Computer"? Will this help if a computer wont boot due to a registry
fault? I suppose if it is, I might not need ERUNT after all (at least for a Vista machine, that is).

Again, any and all advice appreciated. :flowers:

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 24 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

Hi jhsmurray, sorry to hear about your problem and though I can offer no sound advice on how to help you over come it you did say; --> Again, any and all advice appreciated. <-- So here's a bit of what I call good advice, "don't trust Microsoft."

You asked about the --> "Repair Your Computer"? <-- thing and said --> I suppose if it is, I might not need ERUNT after all (at least for a Vista machine, that is). < I wouldn't bank on that feature actually working if\when you need it Boo. I think I would want to make ERUNT work with Vista.

Good Luck.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:05 AM

Thanks for the response, Wendy. :thumbsup:
I think I'll just leave it as is and put up with the alarms everytime I reboot; at least I can pick and choose when to use ERUNT when the popup show up.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Hi jhsmurray,

You're welcome Boo. I don't know squat about Vista but just going by the way that XPs 'restore' feature works or rather doesn't work when you really need it to I'd be inclined to not take any chances with that new repair feature in Vista.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users