Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Directories With More Than One Word

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jackmac

jackmac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

Hello all,
I'm needing some help with changing to certain directories. I've just started to use MSdos quite recently, and I've caught on that extra long filenames like "Extralongfilename" need to be replaced by six letters and ~1, like "cd Extral~1" when you are changing directories. I'm also aware that you must omit the gaps with something like "My Documents", as in "cd MyDocu~1". The only directory I've come across that I cannot open is Program Files, which is quite a useful one.
I've tried:
cd ProgramFiles
cd Program~1
cd "Program Files"
cd "Program~1"
and countless others.
I think the problem lies in the fact that the seventh character is a space and not a letter. Can anyone tell me what I should be doing to change directories to this?

Thank you
Jack Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

DOS doesn't support long filenames, just type CD program~1 it should switch you to programfiles, say you had another directory such as programblank then programfiles would be program~2 because it is listed in alphabetical order.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Derek_S

Derek_S

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

try
cd prog* - it used to work in the right circumstances

#4 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

8 characters is all you get. Try cd progra~1.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#5 jackmac

jackmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

Thank you so much guys, I think for some reason I got myself into thinking that 'program' was six letters. Sometimes you just need someone to point out how stupid you're being.
Many Thanks
Jack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users