Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Ip Address

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 losnogales

losnogales

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

A while back I read of a of a program that you could subscibe to that changes your IP address constantly. I thought is was VPN but I think I must be wrong on that. I know there is an program called, hide your IP address.

My point is that is it worth it to either change your IP constantly (anybody know of the addy I am talking about then please enlighten me) or hide my IP altogether, in terms of safety. If so are there any downsides to this (cookies etc)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

PeerGuardian 2 will work as a IP blocker. As to whether it is worthwhile to block your IP address, this is really a personal choice.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

I know there is an program called, hide your IP address.

They exist, yes. Google to find. Hiding is not possible. It defies the logic of communication protocols :thumbsup: You can hide a bit, confound the hackers a bit, but still, some server which can give you an alternative address has to know who you are and it's in their network logs. Just my opinion.

My point is that is it worth it to either change your IP constantly

A router hides your IP address so long as the ISP gives you a temporary lease. In most routers you can set a short lease timeout. Better than programs, though I'm sure PeerGuardian will do the job well as it's a good application.

are there any downsides to this (cookies etc)

Probably. Though it might work if the hiding server maintains your address and links things correctly. I don't know . Didn't use one ever.

VPN is a different concept. You tunnel through to your company server or some server you have, so externally it looks like the company IP, but the company logs do know your IP from their logs. The purpose of VPN is not hide but data security and authorized use. Usually.

Edited by tos226, 22 August 2007 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users