Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rudeness

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Sinn

Sinn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:03 AM

Hi! Suddenly I've become interested in one question. What is your biggest pet peeves? As for me, I don't like rudeness concerning servers, when clients think that if they pay money, they can do everything with waiters or serving personnel. What about you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:43 AM

Arsonists really annoy me. I can understand liking to light G.I. Joes on fire, but arson is just totally pointless and that's why you go to jail.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

What annoys me are those people who think perfect grammar, spelling, etc. are so awesome and you must do it or else you're considered stupid. This mainly takes place in the Runescape forums which I most visit. On the rs forums, I don't bother to spell all the words correctly or capitalize, because those forums are unprofessional, and just meant to have a good time posting in. Yet those people insist that because they take the time to correct everything, they're suddenly more special than everyone else. I correct my sentences here at BC because this place is more professional. But unprofessional places, like the RS forums, it's not necessary.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

The mark of a person with good manners is to ignore the bad manners of others and to treat everyone with courtesy. I also dislike people with a credit card who treat servers in that way,Sinn, just as I dislike supercilious waiters who want to tell me that I cannot have my steak well-done or sneer when I order the "wrong" colour of wine.

Now my own pet peeve is unruly and excessively loud children in public places, whether in a restaurant on in a supermarket. I wonder if we need a law about "second-hand noise" which can be as harmful to the ear as second- hand smoke to the lungs.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 RivetGrlCin

RivetGrlCin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

What annoys me is when someone is RUDE about spelling, grammer, or punctuation mistakes! If you feel you are perfect enough to point out mistakes, that's bad enough. But when you are RUDE about it, that torques me. Why is it necessary to be rude to anyone at any time? Maybe it is just a typo! Maybe the person making the mistake is not feeling well, having a bad day ect. You don't know unless you ask. Here is an idea. Maybe instead of criticizing , you could be a caring individual and ask. Or better yet, give this person the benefit of the doubt and ignore it. As long as it is legable, WHO CARES! It is not the end of the world if someone makes a mistake. It always makes me wonder if the person criticizing is this hard on themselves. I hope not!
WoW! What a rant! As you can see, it is truly a pet peeve. LOL

Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce (1882 - 1941)
Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
James Joyce (1882 - 1941)

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
Thomas Edison (1847-1931)

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

What annoys me are those people who think perfect grammar, spelling, etc. are so awesome and you must do it or else you're considered stupid. This mainly takes place in the Runescape forums which I most visit. On the rs forums, I don't bother to spell all the words correctly or capitalize, because those forums are unprofessional, and just meant to have a good time posting in. Yet those people insist that because they take the time to correct everything, they're suddenly more special than everyone else. I correct my sentences here at BC because this place is more professional. But unprofessional places, like the RS forums, it's not necessary.

Typing the right way is a good thing but other members can get bossy and its not just at that forums(hint ha ha).

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

The other side of this coin is the person that consistently doesn't use punctuation of any kind much less proper grammar or spelling and gets up in arms when this is pointed out to them tactfully or other wise. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:03 PM

dc3 you missed a few punctuation marks in there (LOL)

Stoplights when no one else is coming (every night I get stuck at the same one with no one else around)

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

dc3 you missed a few punctuation marks in there (LOL)

Stoplights when no one else is coming (every night I get stuck at the same one with no one else around)

Thank goodness, I was afraid that the lack of comas was wasted. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:10 AM

Not to worry dc3 -

I often use entirely too many commas,

so if you ever need one

you can always borrow it from one of my posts!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 EdubSr

EdubSr

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:33 AM

The amazing part of this whole conversation is that "computer speak" is all about abbreviations, playing on words, etc. So how can anybody criticize grammar, caps, and anything else. Makes no sense to me :thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

It really is polite (or not rude, in keeping with the topic title) to "speak" in the language of your surroundings, whatever they may be, especially if one wants to be taken seriously. Of course, if you can not speak the language, then that is a separate matter entirely.

Sort of - if you respect those around you, they are likely to respect you.

If your surrounding is the text messaging arena, for example, abbreviations are the common language.

On boards like this, some common errors might be TYPING IN ALL CAPS which makes it appear that you are shouting. Another would be to not capitalze any words, which to some, may make you appear, shall we say, less smart. I know, it seems so minor, but it may make it seem like the person is saying to the others - "you adjust to me, I think I'm above doing things the accepted way". Maybe it is just me, but when someone is saying that, it is going to rub some people the wrong way.

Now, on this Forum, we really have two separate sections - the main ones where people are asking for help and this area were people are having general conversations. In the help section, I don't think any of us should criticize another member's communication style. It is just not friendly to yell at someone for a missing comma when they are stressing over a problem and need help with it. On the other hand, in the General conversation area, the more respectful one is to the other members, the better the chance that they will be considered seriously. If one does not at least try to use proper writing styles it will not be conducive to easily understood communication. At least, based on my experience, that's the way it has worked.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on Netiquette that might be interesting to some.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi 'John Who' while I agree in principal the message you are trying to convey,you and a lot of Members on BC tend to knit pick when in a lot of cases,we should be more understanding. A typical example only yesterday, a woman wrote in Caps and was picked up immediately for giving the impression of shouting.A couple of posts later she revealed she was nearly blind and coulcn't see what she was writing properly on her monitor.The BC Advisor immediately said sorry and told her to use Caps.The point I am making, you and I are not allways aware of the Members Handicaps,yet they are trying to communicate.
I have bad eyesight, and have to double check every time before I post.A lot of our members are from nearly every country on Earth and with different native tongues and some with very poor education.All these points should be taken into account before adopting a holier than thou attitude.There is absolutely no excuse when someone on BC has made over 4000 Posts and still can't put a sentence together properly. If you are English speaking and educated then there is absolutely no excuse not to make your post user friendly,every time. We all have typo's from time to time.

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:26 AM

I might take the opposite view. In the casual forums a more conversational style is appropriate, and one can overlook bad grammar and punctuation within reason. In the other forums, especially those where Members are asking and giving help, it is a different story. I think it is extremely rude and uncaring if someone posts about a problem in a way that makes clear and easy understanding difficult; Members who help do so in their spare time, and the easier one can make it for them, the better. Clear and distinct writing in Standard English eliminates confusion as well as lengthens the time for both parties if needless correspondence in a thread is required just to understand the problem or the solution. Now many of our Members read and write English as their second (or fourth, for that matter) language; they are taught Standard English. Imagine their consternation when trying to wade through a breadthless post without capitalisation or with slang and IM abbreviations; there are enough technical terms when working with computers that may require trips to the dictionary without their trying to figure out "b4."

It is not as if there is English and there is, say French. There are many different versions of English, ranging from Formal to Standard to various argots, and each has a different purpose and a different intended audience. Using Standard English seems appropriate when attempting to communicate successfully with a very wide range of people, just as IM English is appropriate when typing quickly and "talking" with friends who have a "feel" for what you are saying.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

What is(are) your biggest pet peeves?

people who own a computer but won't put forth the effort to learn how to use it and take care of it

lacking even rudimentary skills, they require you to lead them by the hand thru every step

after failing, they blame you for it
:flowers:

thank goodness, they are the exception, not the rule
:thumbsup:
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users