Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Pinging

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hatto

hatto

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:54 AM

please help me, today my computer has started acting extremely wierdly:

everything except my cursor freezes up when i press my keyboard media controls
zonealarm keeps throwing up warnings saying that an attempt to ping my computer has been blocked.

now, i don't know whether this is something to be concerned about, but if it is, please warn me.

Mod Edit: HJT log removed to prevent non-authorized members from offering suggestions.
If you want to have your HJT log examined, please post it in the proper forum:
HijackThis Logs and Analysis

Edited by tg1911, 26 August 2007 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 06:01 AM

I'm not qualified to analyze your HJT log, but maybe answering these questions wil help track down the issue.

* has this happened since "the beginning"?
* does ZA throw this alarm only when you work the keyboard media controls?
* does ZA tell you the IP address of the "pinger"? (if you dont see it in a ZA popup, check the logs)
- if yes, what is it? Is it an internal network IP address (e.g. something like 192.168.x.x)?

Some specs on your system might help, eg make/model of PC/laptop, keyboard, your OS etc.
ok found this out from one of your other posts - HP keyboard model 5187URF2. Perhaps the new keyboard driver install is related to the ZA alarms - do they coincide, more or less?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

Extra addition of what jhsmurray said...

You have Norton Internet Security installed. Norton Internet Security already contains a Firewall, so why did you install Zonealarm on top? Having more than one Firewall installed/running may cause a LOT of issues since they are not compatible with eachother, may display false alerts, freeze your computer and cause BSODs.
So what I suggest here is, uninstall Zonealarm or uninstall Norton Internet Security (in this case, you should install another single Antivirus app.)
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#4 hatto

hatto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 26 August 2007 - 03:40 AM

thanks jhsmurray and miekiemoes, i think miek's comment about the dual firewalls running is a sensible one, since it turned out that norton had deleted the logs of zonealarm, making it completely forget what programs i want running and what i don't want. the abnormal pinging alerts where, from what i can tell, completely normal at the level of security norton had changed zonealarms to.

if i was to uninstall norton, what would be your suggestion of free antiviral apps?

also, the freezing has gotten more frequent and unpredictable.

to answer murray, i think that the zonealarm problem was a red herring because the two problems do not really coincide.

is there any way to fix the media controls on my keyboard?

take that into account the fact that i have gone through several different updates and am still having the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users