Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware Vs. Everything Else..plz Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LaptopManiac

LaptopManiac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

Hi all!
I need some help. I have been researching computers for a while now and it seems like the best gameing laptops are made by alienware. Through my research I have also found that the computer I want with all of my specs is going to cost me about five thousand dollars. I have configured laptops through dell, hp, alienware and gateway. They all give me about the same price. The crazy thing is, is that I found that one of the best configured laptops was made by Sony! Now i am going to add the specs of the laptop and I need to know what you guys think the catch is. The Video card and the optical drive alone make this too good to be true. Is this computer too good to be true or is it that Sony is trying to make it's way into the computer gameing world? Should I go for it or should I just buy an Alienware? Please let me know. Thanks. The below laptop is going for 3299.00 straight from Sony's website.

Camera - Built in w/ mic

2.0 Ghz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7300

4Mb on L2 Cache

800MHz system Bus

17" screen

320Gb Hardrive in RAID 0

2Gb of RAM

1023Mb NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT notebook graphics processing unit (GPU)

ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner (NTSC and ATSC Support)

BD-RE/DVD±R DL/DVD±RW (BLU-RAY!!!!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:23 AM

If you were to get a "gaming desktop" instead you would get more for less. Gaming on laptops is fine if you NEED to be portable otherwise get a desktop with everything and a nice 22 inch lcd widescreen HD monitor and have fun.

I have never seen a laptop AGP card have that much ram before, just amazing. I have seen faster dual cores before.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:50 AM

Yes, I have found Sony Vaios to be very nice and inexpensive, but I don't think they're trying very hard to make the perfect gaming laptop either. I think your best option for Alienware would be the M5550, which is really really nice. The only disadvantage is that you are stuck with a 15" screen and no more than 256MB V-RAM. Trust me, the mALX is just expensive to be expensive, don't buy it. And also I'll let you in on a little secret. The most expensive laptop's upgrades cost over 10% more than if you buy them in the cheapest laptop on Alienware. Don't ask me why, I just noticed this. Unless hardcore gamer, the M5550 should make you pretty happy. Also, upgrades are always cheaper to buy yourself than on Alienware, although in laptops some things are unremovable. You can buy it with the lowest-quality parts and upgrade from there.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 22 August 2007 - 08:52 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:36 AM

I would recommend building your own desktop because you could build that $5k system for slightly over $2K given smart shopping.

Alienware is quality but for a great price :thumbsup:

I used to have an HP laptop for gaming (beit W3 and Starcraft but non the less gaming) which worked great! Had a nice 17' screen but was super heavy.

If you live near a Sam's Club they sell some pretty nice laptops (some even worth buying if you game) HP- and Dell XPS's are my fav. laptops for their quality (never ownd' an alienware because of the prices).

Have fun looking that I think is the best part getting a computer is learning which things you value most in the computer and how different compettitors have different combinations!

Jake :flowers:

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 03:08 PM

To me, gaming and laptops don't belong in the same sentence. These guys always give Alienware a run for their money, both laptops and desk units
http://voodoopc.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 LaptopManiac

LaptopManiac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Garmanma, sure Voodoos give Alienware a run for their money. Their laptops can be customized to $30,000!! They are a luxury PC company, selling stuff to people willing to waste money for style's sake. I don't think it's a good place to look for a budget PC. A standard paint job alone on a Voodoo PC costs no less than $660.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 24 August 2007 - 10:45 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

In most reviews I've read (not many) Voodoo beats Alienware for like-priced machines.
Like I said, I'm not really into gaming. I set them up for my wife and kids
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users