Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Uninstallation Problems With Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hatesvista

hatesvista

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:19 PM

I purchased an Acer Aspire 5570Z yesterday with Vista already installed on it. Now, I had every intention to uninstall it after purchasing it. I have backed up all my drivers and have searched at length about how one goes about uninstalling this wretched program from my computer - and now I have come to you.

I began by doing as told to do in this tutorial: http://www.maximumpcguides.com/uninstall-windows-vista/

Then, I looked at the entire thread here: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-12546_102-0.ht...ssageID=2460401

Neither has addressed this problem.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium, and intend on installing Windows XP Service Pack 2. While following the instructions from the first link, when prompted to "repair my computer" I am asked to sign in as administrator. Now. I am the administrator, defaulted. What could this mean? I have no floppy disc so I can not make a boot disc. I want to format this computer but nothing I can find is answering the question: How do I uninstall Windows Vista?

Could I format with http://dban.sourceforge.net/ DBAN to leave the computer nubile and allow me to install XP undaunted?

Do I risk damaging the wireless network capabilities - even with backed up drivers on a CD? (Entire System 32 Drivers folder, to be exact)

Should I, rather than DBAN, use the reformatting tool in Windows Vista "My Computer"?

I have no data on this machine that I would miss.

Edited by hatesvista, 21 August 2007 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

Wow if you only got the laptop yesterday and want to unistall Vista...do you think you have given it a chance? Oh well I gather this is a new PC, link 1 is only for operating systems that had XP installed, then had Vista installed after...and personally I wouldnt do that. The second link is roughly how to format Vista (you do it with your XP cd). I wouldnt touch the 3 rd link. The drivers you have saved are for Vista not XP so you will need to download all new drivers.
MCP
MSDST

#3 hatesvista

hatesvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=198000229

http://news.com.com/Federal+agencies+ban+W..._3-6166868.html

Add to the fact that I would have to rebuy everything installed on my old (and viable) desktop, I believe it's a whole lot of bull to go through. I'm not so quick to believe new=better.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:50 AM

Vista behaves well as long as you feed it properly. If you don't feed it Vista compatible apps and hardware, you're asking for problems. Is there any particular hardware or software (that you must use) that isn't Vista compatible? If not, then just give Vista some time. FYI - my wife has had some exposure to Vista, but hated it when I installed it on her desktop. 3 days later she's coming around and starting to like it - despite the compatibility problems that we're facing.

If you still insist upon installing XP, please be advised that this will likely void your warranty with Acer. Also, as stated previously, you'll have to locate XP drivers for all of your devices. Then the "easiest" route is a low-level format of your hard drive (to wipe the boot sector) and then format and installation of XP.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hatesvista

hatesvista
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

In order to do a low level format, would I be using the Kill Disk utility? Or something from Acer?

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:44 PM

All you need to do is place your XP cd in and format the PC there is no low level format with windows. (98 or 95 use to have that option) The full format that windows does is a format/scan disk combined or just a format. (quick). If your system is new you shouldn't need to do a full format.
MCP
MSDST

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:04 AM

Low level formats are designed to reduce the hard drive to it's basic state. It's also called (by some) initializing. This occurs before you partition the hard drive and adds an additional step or two to the process (low-level format, initializing, partition, then format).

This Wikipedia article states that low-level formatting is a misnomer since the advent of more complex technologies make Low Level Formatting difficult, if not impossible for the user to do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_formatti...9_of_hard_disks

Also:

Instead of correcting this mistaken idea (by clearly stating such a process cannot be performed on specific drives), various drive manufacturers have actually described reinitialization software as LLF utilities on their web sites.

I would visit the website of the manufacturer of your hard disk and get their initialization utility. This will erase the boot sector (that may not be erased by the XP format utility) and will then allow you to install XP.

Indications for the using the initialization tool are generally:
1) removing a boot sector virus
2) identifying/marking bad areas of the drive
3) installing an OS who's file format isn't compatible with the file format on the drive
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users