Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sporder.dll difficulty

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Priswell

Priswell

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:50 AM

Dear Sysop/All,

I'm helping a friend fix his computer. He's got a WinXP Professional machine, and he's getting the recurring "missing sporder.dll file" error message, and no internet access. I've read some of the messages here, so I downloaded the lspfix file, and ran it on his computer. This is the list of files the program came up with in the left pane:

mswsock.dll
winrnr.dll
mclsp.dll
rsvpsp.dll

I did not remove any files yet. I came home and did searches on each of the files, and as far as I can tell, they are legitimate - but I'm hoping you can confirm this. I have just downloaded the HijackThis program, and have an appointment to go back over to his house and work on his computer again tomorrow. I'll add the HijackThis file onto this thread once I come back from there.

Another problem we've encountered, is that his computer desperately wants several files that were apparently part of McAfee Internet Security Suite 7.0. He uninstalled that program, but the computer is still looking for those files. We tried to reinstall the program today and it will not allow us to.

Any advice you can offer will be welcome.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:21 AM

The lsps are all legit. Leave those alone.

You may have to clean up the registry of mcafee entries.

#3 Priswell

Priswell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

I was unable to get back over there like I intended. I have rescheduled for today.

You may have to clean up the registry of mcafee entries.

Um, well, I'm kind of timid when it comes to poking around in the registry. I've been in there on occasion, mind you, but I'd need further instructions.
Posted Image

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 11:55 AM

To find the mcafee registry entries you can download this program:

RegSearch Download link

and run it. Then enter in the string mcafee to search for and start the search. Post the log here and I will tell you what to remove

#5 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:45 PM

Hey...got a question. I just plopped blackice on my comp...I think I have mcaffee virus scan. Is it wasting space or should I keep it? I got about 5 different scanners for viruses,trojans,spyware, etc...so do I even need mac? Thanks.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:28 PM

If you do not use mcafee and already have another virus scanner you can uninstall it. Btw, in the future please post questions like this in your own topic. Thanks :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users