Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Completely Remove Virusprotectpro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 andy_r

andy_r

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

My computer picked up VirusProtectPro and so I downloaded a programme from SuperAntiSpyware.com to scan my computer and remove the viruses etc. This it did, finding 222 adware, trojan and malware items, which I have removed and quarantined. I was unsure about another 8 items, which were listed as Unclassified/Unknown Origin,so I left these for the while, as I didn't want to get rid of anything by mistake.

The good news is that the VirusProtectPro programme etc seems to have been successfully removed. However, the logo is still displayed at the bottom of the screen, giving off its 'System Alert' warnings. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this, too?

Andy

Moved from the XP Forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 21 August 2007 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

Virus protectpro removal instructions in link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/98219/how-to-remove-virusprotect-or-virus-protect-removal-instructions/

If you didn't run SAS in safe mode, you should do that after updating SAS. Allow it to QUARANTINE whatever it finds.
How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

As you found out, VPPro comes with a lot of other malware. You should run an online scan using Bit Defender. It only works in Internet Explorer.
Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Please let us know the results.

Edited by buddy215, 21 August 2007 - 08:57 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 andy_r

andy_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Buddy for your help. I will run SAS in safe mode ( I downloaded it last night, so it shouldn't need updating ? ).

The 8 unclassifed/Unknown origins that I didn't remove (thinking they might be important 'good' files contained a list of DLL files, so I had better remove/quarantine these ( and I will list them).

Does this make sense or should I start from scratch with the SmitFraudFix software? :thumbsup: I would be grateful for any further advice!

Cheers, Andy :flowers:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Both the Smitfraudfix and SAS remove smitfraud malware. Whether they will remove the icon or not TODAY can only be answered by running the programs. This malware changes file names/locations every day to fool the scanning programs.
Yes, you should run SAS regardless of whether you use Smitfraudfix or not and allow it to QUARANTINE every thing finds. Updating SAS will only take seconds. If there is no update available it will tell you you have the latest already.

Be sure to do the online scan with Bit Defender, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 andy_r

andy_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

Have run the SAS again and removed the Unrecognised/Unknown Objects. This led to the icon and "System alert' disappearing (touch wood).

I have also run the BitDefender and it found 10 infected files with these 4 viruses:

Trojan.Downloader.Zlob.AA1X, AA1Y and AA1M and Trojan.Java.Downloader.B

However, the not so good news is it says I am still infected. So I will try the SmitFraudFix tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thank you again for the help.

Andy

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2007 - 02:30 PM

Is the location Bit Defender is finding the malware in a location other than "restore"? If it is, do run the Smitfraudfix.

#7 andy_r

andy_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

We have a happy ending, Buddy. I used the SmitFF and a BitGuard scan showed no problems this morning. So, thank you again for the help. I'll be making a donation and telling people about this site, as it is such a good idea. I suppose I delete all the files in quarantine, do I?

Andy_R

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:25 PM

Yes, delete the quarantine items and remove the Smitfraudfix program. There is one other thing you need to do. Your restore points are infected and if you need to use the system restore function in the future you could reinfect your computer. You should delete ALL restore points and set a new one. If you need a tutorial on how to do that, see info in the link below.
Glad you were able to remove the malware.
Turn off system restore. This will remove all restore points since some are infected . Turn system restore back on.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#9 andy_r

andy_r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

Hi Buddy,

Have been away for the last few days ( British public holiday) but have caught up with your last message now and have deleted the old restore points.

Thanks again for all the guidance. The tutorials have been excellent, very clearly explained but not too dumbed down-I found the overview followed by precise instructions the right combo. I am making a donation to help you keep up the good work. Thanks once again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users